ASSISTANT DEAN FOR STUDENT AFFAIRS
THE LAWRENCE HERBERT SCHOOL OF COMMUNICATION
ASSISTANT DEAN FOR STUDENT AFFAIRS
The Lawrence Herbert School of Communication at Hofstra University invites applications for an anticipated opening; Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. The Assistant Dean, reports directly to the Dean of the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication and is responsible for directing and managing the Student Affairs function for the school, which includes ensuring the effective delivery of academic advising services for our students across our academic departments and programs. The Assistant Dean frequently collaborates on various initiatives with other senior leaders across the university and serves as a vital resource on academic and curricular issues. This is a full-time academic administrator position the ideal candidate will preferably have experience in a leadership capacity in a multidisciplinary unit.
- Principal advisement responsibilities for freshman and transfer students
- Principal liaison to Admissions
- Meet with potential new students/majors - give building tours
- Coordinate and promote school retention efforts pertaining to advisement
- Represent school at current and prospective student-oriented events
- Coordinate admission events with chairs and Admissions Office
- Herbert School point person for high school guidance counselors
- Manage and coordinate advisement training and updates for faculty
- Analyze class size and school enrollments
- Oversee course enrollments
- Approve permission to enroll, change of major, late withdrawals, drop/add (when advisor not available)
- Process waivers and substitutions and grade changes
- Oversee process and make recommendations to Dean for grade appeals
and academic honesty cases
- Principal liaison to Academic Records, Registrar and Student Affairs
- Representative on University Committees: Academic Review and University Retention
- Support graduate directors with advisement inquiries
- General questions pertaining to academic programs
- Arrange majors meetings
- Assist with special assignments
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- At least two years of experience working with students in advising, career counseling, academic programs or any student-affairs area.
- Experience working with college students, faculty and staff.
- Standout interpersonal, organizational and administrative skills.
- Computer literate.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities.
Located just outside of New York City, the media capital of the world, The Lawrence Herbert School of Communication at Hofstra University provides students with a superior education and real-world experiences that prepare them to meet the challenges of the 21st century job market. The Herbert School offers undergraduate and graduate coursework in multimedia journalism, media studies and public relations and radio, television and film production, taught by an award-winning faculty.
Founded in 1935, Hofstra University is an internationally recognized institution that has been cited on the “Best College” lists of U.S. News & World Report, Princeton Review, Fiske, and Forbes. The University comprises ten schools and colleges serving a diverse student population of approximately 11,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree students
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants please submit letter of application, curriculum vitae, and the names and telephone numbers of three references to:
Evan Cornog, Ph.D., Dean
The Lawrence Herbert School of Communication
111 Hofstra University, 318 LH Comm
Hempstead, NY 11549
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
Apply for ASSISTANT DEAN FOR STUDENT AFFAIRS
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly