University Executive Director of Shared Services - University Administrator
The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation's leading urban public university. It serves 540,000 students - more than 271,000-degree bearing students and nearly 270,000 in adult, continuing, and professional education at 24 institutions in New York City.
CUNY is embarking on a University-wide Administrative Excellence Transformation initiative and creation of a Shared Services Center, with goals to improve the quality of the University's administrative services and to create efficiencies to reinvest in our strategic priorities. The Shared Services Center will be a component of the University's Office of the Senior Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer, and will work closely with the campuses and other Central Office units. The office is tasked with promoting sound administrative management throughout CUNY, functioning as an effective financial steward, ensuring the prudent use of University resources and supporting the strategic direction of CUNY. The University Executive Director is a member of the Senior Vice Chancellor's executive leadership team.
As head of the center, the Executive Director of Shared Services provides direction and leadership in the shared services areas such as Finance, Human Resources, Procurement, Enrollment Management, and Facilities. He/She pursues organizational alignment with values, mission, and vision through relationship building, staff development, and the streamline and implementation of CUNY's policies and procedures as well as adherence to regulatory and policy requirements.
Principal responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead the design, development and implementation of a university-wide shared services program. Engage the University community in the Shared Services vision and regularly communicate the vision and results of shared services.
- Provide timely and accurate analyses of budgets, reporting, and trends in the multiple Shared Services areas.
- Prepare a work plan to include the scope of activities and measurable outcomes.
- Negotiate and implement collaborative customer service agreements that include a focus on costs, quality of service and timeliness.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the shared services delivered.
- Drive practice improvements within all shared processes (e.g., procure-to-pay, payroll).
- Guide identification of technology solutions that strategically align to support overall goals and objectives of the shared services center. Ensure a customer service culture, including establishing key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Develop metrics to assess the extent to which strategic goals have been achieved
- Engage in continuous process improvement by utilizing customer satisfaction surveys and other feedback mechanisms
- Participate in planning the expansion of the shared services center and supports the annual strategy development process
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with managers, senior executives and other stakeholders at CUNY colleges and the Central Office
- Ensure compliance with state, city and CUNY policies
- Provides oral and written progress reports to customers, stakeholder, senior management and the Board of Trustees.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree and eight years' relevant experience required.
The successful candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills and professional attributes:
- Master's Degree in accounting, business administration, finance, management or a related field preferred
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in a large and complex organization; at least five years of experience in a senior level position managing administrative functions and staff members.
- Experience with re-engineering/re-organizing business operations and processes.
- Familiarity with ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft, and e-business systems and applications
- Experience as a change agent, bringing technology and best practices to bear in a complex business services environment.
- Experience using lean management principles in administrative operations
- Extremely well organized and self-directed, diplomatic and adept at developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships within a team dynamic.
- Strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial skills, with ability to lead and manage teams, and use strategic and tactical judgment to make decisions and handle various situations
- Ability to communicate and work effectively and collaboratively with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of higher education procedures, systems and operations
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, analytical and operations assessment skills
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and rsum online via CUNY's web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin on June 12, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Central Office
Job Title: University Executive Director of Shared Services - University Administrator
Job ID: 16852
Full/Part Time: Full-Time