Custodial Assistant (Multiple Positions) - Facilities Management
Under supervision, performs work of ordinary difficulty in cleaning public buildings and their immediate grounds; performs related light labor.
There is no Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as needed.
- Sweeps, damp mops, and wet mops office floors, toilets, corridors, lobbies, and other assigned floor areas.
- Cleans washbasins and other toilet room facilities.
- Washes walls by hand with a brush or by using an electric machine.
- Scrubs floors with an electric machine; waxes and polishes floors.
- Hand scrubs stairs and stair landings.
- Empties waste basket and disposes of refuse.
- Vacuums and cleans rugs, carpets, and upholstered furniture.
- Dusts and removes and cleans window coverings such as blinds.
- Performs shoulder high dusting of walls.
- Dusts and polishes furniture and metal work.
- Cleans mirrors and glass in bookcase, doors, and restrooms.
- Washes electric light fixtures.
- Replenishes bathroom supplies in toilets.
- Sweeps sidewalks and removes snow from sidewalks; washes sidewalks and lower portion of buildings with brush and hose.
- Replaces bulbs and fuses.
- Attends a low pressure heating plant.
- May occasionally operate an elevator, move furniture, or act as watch person.
- Reports broken equipment.
- Observes safety and environmental health precautions as directed.
- Puts up safety warnings and/or stanchions for wet floors or other areas for limited access during cleaning.
- Sorts refuse for recycling.
- Cleans small kitchens and/or coffee service areas.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
In addition to the duties and qualifications outlined herein, it should be noted that this position is subject to the following:
- Position is required to perform work at all seven (7) college locations as required.
- Position is designated as 'Essential Personnel', which requires the employee to report to work during emergencies even when the college operations are suspended and as directed by the college management.
- Position is subject to the shift assignment which may change from time to time in accordance with the needs of the college as determined by their supervisor.
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York.
John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings.
There are no formal education or experience requirements.
There are certain medical and physical requirements as established by University management.
New Hire: $29,279*
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click "Apply Now" below.
Otherwise please follow these instructions:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment."
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by job opening ID number 16874
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions
Upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one file .
June 30, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: Custodial Assistant (Multiple Positions) - Facilities Management
Job ID: 16874
Full/Part Time: Full-Time