Lab Specialist 1
Working Title: Lab Specialist 1
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Pediatrics
Posting Date: 10-03-2016
The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Virginia is seeking a Lab Specialist 1 to provide technical lab support by performing complex lab and research related tasks. The incumbent will act as a specialist on research methods and equipment functions specific to investigations. The Laboratory Specialist performs complex experiments supporting the research protocols, including maintaining a mouse colony and planning and implementing breeding schemes. This position also provides training for students and other lab personnel; performs literature searches and presents findings at meetings; orders lab supplies; and cleans and maintains equipment.
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, or a related science, and a minimum of three years of laboratory experience using molecular biology, immunology, or genetic approaches to address relevant scientific experiments. Experience gained as a student may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to resolve problems.
2. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
3. Ability to organize work procedures.
4. Skills in providing care for and breeding of research mice.
5. Ability to modify and develop lab procedures.
6. Ability to synthesize information, provide advice, and address needs independently. Ability to independently conduct lab experiments. Knowledge of general lab procedures, basic safety precautions, and lab equipment.
7. Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication in daily interactions. Proven ability to clearly articulate specific information in areas of subject matter expertise.
8. Ability to work independently and as part of a team and to work with senior leaders to accomplish goals. Ability to lead, train, and functionally supervise.
9. Advanced ability to navigate University databases and systems. Ability to access and present information to University employees, faculty, and senior leaders.
10. Ability to grasp the University's educational mission, strategic aims, and programs.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=78793