Director of Licensing
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Director of Licensing
Position #718973 - Requisition 09747
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
CU Innovations has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Licensing position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The mission of CU Innovations is to be a national leader in translating discovery into impact through transparent, flexible, best practice intellectual property management services. The University of Colorado's Anschutz Medical Campus (AMC) is one of the nation's newest and most dynamic educational, health care and biomedical research facilities, encompassing 6.5 million gross square feet for cutting-edge research, education and clinical facilities. The campus is home to CU's health schools and programs, University of Colorado Hospital and The Children's Hospital, both designated "magnet" facilities for nursing excellence.
The Director of Licensing for AMC reports to the Managing Director of CU Innovations. The Director of Licensing is responsible for increasing, improving, and accelerating the commercialization of University of Colorado intellectual property. The Director of Licensing will oversee a team of licensing and business development professionals to evaluate, advance, and partner a portfolio of life science technologies, and will execute on the plans for reshaping the industry research collaboration, technology commercialization and innovation activities of AMC. As a senior leader of the team, the Licensing Director will help to oversee the licensing activities of the licensing associates and will mentor junior staff and Innovation Fellows.
Characteristics of the successful candidate: (1) has a strong background in the commercialization of life science technologies with experience negotiating complex deals (2) is able to effectively operate in a nonprofit academic medical center (3) performs associated duties that are predominantly intellectual and varied in nature, requiring creative, analytical, evaluative, interpretive, and/or critical thinking; and (4) exercises discretion and independent judgment, requiring only general supervision for day-to-day tasks.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
A bachelor's degree in biological or life sciences, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience, including direct responsibility for life sciences technology transfer or business development experience at a research university, academic medical center, or life sciences company.
Conditions of Employment:
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license. As a result, US citizenship or LPR (Lawful Permanent Residence) is required.
- MBA or JD.
- Ten+ years direct life sciences technology transfer or business development experience at a research university, academic medical center, or life sciences company.
- Business experience in a high-technology entrepreneurial setting.
- Knowledge of and experience with the pharmaceutical commercialization process from patents to FDA approvals.
- Experience in evaluating the commercial potential of early stage technologies.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate and close complex business deals
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment; to work under pressure with tight deadlines
- Strong working knowledge of intellectual property protection methods, licensing practices, contract law, as well as government laws/regulations relating to technology transfer within industry and/or academia
- Effective communication skills to convey a consistent commercialization vision to internal and external constituents
- Highly self-motivated professional with exceptional leadership, communication and negotiating skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to values and strong business ethics
- Ability to develop and maintain an extensive network of professional contacts
- Ability to interact effectively in both academic and corporate cultures; with scientists, research sponsors, industry representatives and patent attorneys
- Team player and builder; works well in group environments; shares knowledge, expertise; provides assistance and accepts additional responsibility when necessary; leads by example
- Entrepreneurial; possesses initiative and intellectual curiosity
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, marketing, organizational, and negotiation skills
- Ability to interact appropriately with individuals across the organization chart
- High degree of energy and enthusiasm
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Kimberly Muller at Kimberly.Muller@cu.edu
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by June 15, 2017. Those who do not apply by June 15th may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 21705 - ADM-CHAN Anschutz Tech Transfe
Posting Date: Jun 1, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kimberly Muller
Posting Contact Email: Kimberly.Muller@cu.edu
Position Number: 00718973