Strategic Research Development Manager
Strategic Research Development Manager
Rsch Devel & Commercialization - 390040
The mission of the Office of Research Development & Commercialization, at the University of North Texas Health Science Center, is to serve UNTHSC, its researchers and the community through the development, promotion and commercialization of technologies arising at UNTHSC.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The Rsch Devel & Commercialization Department at the University of North Texas Health Science Center is seeking to hire a Strategic Research Dev Manager to join our team.
Reporting to the Director of Research Enterprise Solutions, the Strategic Research Development Manager will have two main responsibilities. In carrying out both responsibilities, the employee will be expected to work closely with multiple stakeholders in the research enterprise including other research development managers, faculty researchers, executive leadership, institutional advancement staff and coworkers in the Grants & Contracts, Research Compliance, and Commercialization offices.
The first responsibility will be to manage assigned Division or Institutional programs designed to meet the needs of the general research enterprise. The second responsibility will be to act as a strategic development advisor and liaison for an assigned set of UNTHSC "clients", i.e., faculty, research centers, institutes and/or schools.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
Research Funding Development
* Managing and implementing processes for identifying research funding opportunities with an emphasis on federal and non-profit announcements and requests for proposals (RFPs)
* Developing and managing processes for matching faculty and program research areas with identified announcements and RFPs
* Communicating information about research funding opportunities to basic, translational, and clinical faculty, as well as to chairs, deans, and executive leadership
* Maintaining and promoting the use of the research funding online tool, PIVOT
Training & Outreach
* Planning and offering training programs in areas such as grant writing, opportunity identification, and working with industry
* Organizing and/or participating in on-campus outreach events to promote the identification, disclosure, protection, and development of intellectual property
* Developing and updating institutional cut sheets for inclusion in funding proposals
* Directing a proposal peer-review program for early-career faculty
* Ad hoc reviewing and critiquing of grant proposals
* Scouting for strategic opportunities to leverage technical assets, capabilities and expertise
* Identifying potential partners and customers (government, academic, non-profit, and industry)
* Acting as a single point-of-contact for industrial interactions
* Facilitating collaboration with on-campus and community resources
Strategic Opportunity Development & Assessment
* Developing proposals for new strategic initiatives
* Articulating value propositions to support investment in projects, resources, and opportunities
* Conducting market research and due diligence in support of emerging opportunities
* Conducting preliminary assessments and prior art searches on early-stage invention disclosures
Strategic Client Support
* Assisting with the development of strategic plans for clients and defining criteria for success
* Building inventories of client expertise and resources
* Assessing client needs and drafting resource justifications
* Optimizing internal and external messaging about client strengths and capabilities
* Assembling an industry advisory board
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the Department.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree required, preferably in the sciences. Advanced degree preferred
* Three years of relevant experience in research development, strategic program management or management consulting
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* An acumen for business and strategic planning
* Experience in developing and effectively communicating value propositions
* A general understanding of research funding processes and requirements
* A general understanding of academic technology transfer operations, affiliated contracts, and the evaluation of intellectual property
* An ability to develop a thorough understanding of client capabilities and needs, and matching those with funding criteria and opportunities
* An ability to develop positive and collaborative relationships with research faculty and other stakeholders in the research enterprise
* Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate about health sciences with technical, business, and lay audiences
* An ability to handle and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
* Strong organizational skills
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Commensurate with Experience
Application Types Accepted
Occupational Exposure to HIV/HBV?
Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals?
Occupational Exposure to Tuberculosis?
Require a valid Texas Driver's License?
Require a certification?
Official Job Title
Strategic Research Dev Manager
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled