Director of Career Services – Student Affairs (R-0296)
The Director is responsible for strategic planning, establishment and leadership of Career Services for FHSU students and alumni. This includes: day to day management of the office; overseeing the budget; hiring and evaluating career services’ personnel; career counseling; interviewing skill development; resume writing; job search strategies; job leads for part-time, full-time and temporary positions; graduate/professional school admission; career fairs; and on campus interviews. Interaction with various faculty, deans and department heads, students, and alumni to develop employment and internship opportunities; establish strong partnerships with businesses; cultivate programs with potential employers; and develop and maintain relationships with local, regional and national employers.
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- Strong detail, orientation and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills, and computer skills.
- Ability to formulate strategies and programs to increase student contact with appropriate employers and graduate/professional schools.
- Commitment to diversity.
- Self-motivated and goal oriented.
- Ability to work independently and with a team, as well as, with various constituents.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: A minimum of five years of professional work experience (preferably in both higher education and business sector) including management and supervision in Career Services/Counseling Services, Human Resources, and placement or employee relations.
APPOINTMENT DATE: Negotiable
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority given to applications received by June 30, 2017.
SALARY: Commensurate with education and qualifications.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
The duties of the Director of Career Services include the following:
- Proactively initiate communication with faculty, employers, alumni, and professional schools as it relates to Career Services.
- Manage and direct comprehensive Career Services program including professional/graduate school admission, student and alumni employment, student part-time employment and employer relations.
- Develop and conduct seminars on comprehensive job search strategies for students, alumni and community residents. Provide individual counseling to encourage successful promotion of achievements and qualities.
- Create/update results-oriented computerized referral programs to expedite referral of qualified candidates to prospective employers.
- Initiate programs to maintain and expand off-campus job opportunities for students and former students. Construct and update department homepage to expand services.
- Schedule employer information sessions and on-campus interviews for full-time, part-time, and/or summer jobs and internships.
- Continue working to increase opportunities for virtual and International students and their use of Career Services
- Assist in development of computerized employment systems to enhance overall department productivity.
- Establish marketing programs to market department services to current students and alumni.
- Coordinate alumni job network with Alumni Association, faculty and university alumni.
- Coordinate the tracking process in efforts to know where each year’s graduates are after leaving FHSU.
- Supervise and assist Senior Administrative Assistant in providing various Career Days to assist with preparation for the job search process and graduate/professional school admission.
- Creates marketing strategies to increase student and employer awareness of and participation in career services programs.
- Adhere to all federal and state reporting requirements.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references with contact information.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit the Human Resource Office webpage at http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/ and click on Employment Opportunities. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Dr. Patti Griffin
About Fort Hays State University:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
About Hays, Kansas:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.