Department Chair for Transitional Studies (2TL17)
VACANCY (POSITION) NUMBER: 2TL17
RESPONSIBLE TO: Dean Teaching & Learning Excellence
STATE CLASS: Dept. Chair/Head
LOCATION: Aiken Technical College, Aiken, SC
STATE SALARY RANGE: Commensurate
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-time, Monday – Friday
JOB DATE: June 2017
OPENING DATE: June 1, 2017
The Department Chair for Transitional Studies is responsible to the Dean of Teaching and Learning Excellence for management of assigned program(s) and/or discipline(s) and the promotion and operation of all functions related to the assigned program(s). The Department Chair performs all instructional duties, advises students, and is responsible for the management of administrative functions, guiding faculty in the development of programs and courses, encouraging research, working effectively with Deans and administrators, and leading by example as a highly effective faculty.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teaching and Advisement – Present course material through a variety of appropriate and effective instructional strategies to facilitate learning outcomes in accordance with course syllabi. Manages the academic advisement, recruitment and placement of assigned students, evaluates transcript credit, and recommends course substitutions as required with input from program/discipline faculty. Collaborates with the appropriate division in the admission, retention, graduation and placement of students. Maintains and posts scheduled office time in accordance with College procedure.
- Instructional Development – Fosters and promotes excellence and best practices in all educational programs. Maintains contacts with appropriate businesses and community agencies as applicable. Monitors the quality of the program/discipline curriculum. Responsible for program accreditations, meeting SACSCOC standards, program, course and core general education learning outcomes, assessments and reviews to ensure results are used in planning.
- Instructional Management – Responsible for instructor effectiveness within the department; improves the teaching and learning environment through performance evaluation, classroom observation, student assessment of instruction, course data, professional development and divisional activities. Actively engages in the Curriculum & Instruction committee and program review process. Chairs selection committees and makes recommendations for hire, and loading of permanent and part-time faculty in the assigned department. Ensures all faculty credentials are reviewed in accordance with SACSCOC requirements and manages time and attendance.
- Program Management – In coordination with the Dean, develops semester course schedule and program semester displays. Collaborates with Dean, faculty and other departments in the development, implementation and monitoring of plans, divisional reports and budgets in cooperation with staff. Ensures two Advisory Board meetings are held each academic year for each program (as applicable).
- Ensures compliance with College and academic policies and procedures. Appropriately manages timelines, submits information and completes tasks by established deadlines.
- Represents the Department/Divisions/College by participating in the community, professional meetings, and professional development as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics or related field with at least 18 undergraduate hours of Mathematics courses required. Three (3) years of progressively responsible related work/teaching experience is also required. Prior experience teaching Mathematics or tutoring experience is preferred.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please apply online at www.jobs.sc.gov. Unofficial college transcripts are required for all degrees earned and may be attached to the online application, faxed (803-593-8203), emailed (email@example.com), or mailed (P.O. Drawer 696, Aiken, SC 29802). All application materials must be submitted by the closing date. The application must be completed including all current and previous work history and education. A resume may be attached, but not substituted for completing work history and education sections of the application. In lieu of higher education degree, please include high school history. International transcripts must be evaluated through World Education Services. Scheduling of interviews will begin on June 12, 2017 and position will remain open until filled.
Aiken Technical College is an equal opportunity employer committed to having diversity throughout the College. Any requests for reasonable accommodation to apply for this position should be directed to Human Resources by calling 803-508-7497 or writing to the above address. Requests for accommodations must be made by the above-stated deadline.