Laboratory Safety Specialist
Requisition # 2017-7583
Department Environmental Health & Safety
Category Research and Laboratory
Date Posted 5/31/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The Princeton University Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) provides leadership, technical support, information and training, consultation, and periodic audits of environmental, health and safety practices and regulatory compliance. EHS employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of 17 professional and support staff working to address health and safety issues in several broad areas including; workplace safety, occupational health, laboratory safety, emergency management, environmental programs, and general health and safety for the campus community.
The Princeton University Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) seeks a motivated and dedicated individual to provide professional environmental health and safety services with regard to control of exposures to hazardous materials and equipment in laboratories, in support of and under the general supervision of senior staff and program managers. The successful candidate is expected to conduct audits and surveys, incident and accident investigations, and provides information, services and training to students, faculty and staff.
The position assists EHS senior staff and program managers with aspects of laboratory-related health and safety programs, such as the Laboratory Safety Program, Biosafety Program, Hazardous Waste Program, Chemical Safety Program, Laser Safety Program, etc.
An important function of the position is the management and curation of data in support of various program areas including chemical safety, hazardous material shipping, waste management, controlled substance management as well as other health and safety information identified during health and safety surveys.
EHS prides itself on providing outstanding customer service and expects all members of the office to provide customer service to the research community including delivery and assembly of supplies and equipment, consultation in lab, and assisting the research community wherever possible.
The position occasionally responds to incidents that occur in the many research laboratories related to research materials and equipment, providing assistance to laboratory workers and emergency responders as needed and conducts accident and incident investigations as assigned by EHS program managers.Qualifications
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- B.S. in chemistry, physics, biology, environmental science or equivalent degree with training and experience including laboratory work or providing safety services in a laboratory setting.
- Ability to master computer software, including Microsoft Office Professional.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate orally to a diverse community of clients. Able to perform public speaking and deliver training to diverse audiences/large and small groups.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment and to follow work rules and procedures, and to work independently
- Good organizational and time management skills and the ability to balance multiple assignments.
- Willing to work around chemicals, biological materials and radioactive materials.
- Ability to obtain hazardous materials shipping, RCRA hazardous waste and Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) qualifications.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds (e.g., instruments, self-contained breathing apparatus and waste containers), climb ladders, wear respiratory protection.
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.