Instructional Assistant II (P/T), CP1N20203CIL
Responsible for providing a variety of instructional support services Learning Commons and to assist students; instructors; Assistant Managers, and Manager, Learning Support Services.
Position Title: Instructional Assistant II (P/T), CP1N20203CIL
Duties of Position:
- Assist students to ascertain their learning needs and make recommendations for specific Learning Commons academic support services. Refer students and community members to other college departments as required on and off-campus.
- Explain and orient instructors to Learning Commons procedures programs including the use of course components.
- Acquire and maintain student resources for Learning Commons academic support services including materials provided by other college departments. Create and maintain reference and procedure manuals.
- Maintain knowledge of all Learning Commons academic support areas in order to provide assistance on these areas as needed.
- Assist and instruct students in registration and use of the online COMPASS math placement test preparation program through one-on-one sessions or workshops.
- Schedule workshops and develop promotional materials in paper and electronic form. Create and conduct placement test workshops for students.
- Know current Learning Commons policies and enforce them by monitoring students use of the Learning Commons.
- Maintain proficiency in use of the software used for recording student requests and referrals.
- Assist in conducting Learning Commons' orientation for classes, New Student Orientation and faculty groups.
- Represent the Learning Commons at Outreach events, such as high school open house, new student orientation, and adult open house.
- Serve as a liaison to off-Campus Instructional Assistants at Learning Commons, to maintain consistency of procedures and availability of materials at off-campus sites.
- Maintain, organize, and update Learning Commons use by designated student groups.
- Maintain and checkout Learning Commons equipment and media resources to faculty and staff.
- Assist with Learning Commons activities that require resolving student ID information in Colleague.
- Supervise student workers. Assign and monitor work.
- Explain and demonstrate the use of computer delivered educational components including My Math Test, Blackboard, student E-mail, MyACCESS, and basic software applications.
- Monitor the effectiveness of procedures and forms and update them when necessary; initiate changes in procedural handbooks for students and implement changes when necessary.
- Collect and sort data for regular statistical reports.
- Assist in the administration of surveys for all-college program review and for assessment of Learning Commons programs and services.
- Open and close work area according to established procedures and respond to emergencies occurring at the work site.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education:
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proficiency in spoken English. Basic computer skills.
Two years college or equivalent experience in an educational setting.
Prior work experience in field of education.
Equipment & Working Conditions:
Multi-line telephone, FAX, typewriters, computers, mainframe, printers, copier, calculator, audio and video equipment.
20 hours weekly, day/evening/weekend. Ability to unpack, lift, move, and store boxes of instructional materials and supplies up to 20 pounds. Ability to unpack, assemble, and move equipment. Ability to access testing and study materials. Ability to visually verify data. Criminal background check required for this position.
Department: Learning Commons - LC
Position Type: Part time - PT
Pay Type: Hourly Non-Exempt