Report to: President
Starting: July - August 2017
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is Afghanistan’s only private, non-profit university. Founded in 2006, AUAF currently offers four undergraduate degrees, an MBA, and professional development and training through its Centers of Excellence (International Center for Afghan Women’s Economic Development, Business Innovation Hub, and Professional Development Institute). For more information about AUAF, please login to www.auaf.edu.af.
General Objective: The Provost is the Chief Academic Officer of the university and is responsible for all academic and student affairs. They are a member of every university’s academic department and committee including the Faculty Senate. The Provost develops and administers the budgets of all academic units, including the Library, Registrar, Admissions, Student Affairs, continuing education, and other degree programs. The Provost oversees and leads the accreditation process and academic policy and priorities, establishes standards for the quality of the student body, and maintains educational excellence. In addition, the Provost also has oversight responsibility for the recruiting, hiring, retention, and performance of top quality faculty and academic administrators who excel in both education and research and is responsible for the university’s promotion process. The Provost serves as a member of the senior leadership team of the university in overseeing the functions of the university and planning for its sustainability and longevity. The Provost represents the President during the President’s absence from campus.
This job is performed with a great deal of independence reporting directly to the president. Every effort is made to work in close collaboration with the President who the Provost represents during the president’s absence. This position requires intellect, thoughtfulness, diplomacy, discretion, the ability to work effectively with others in all aspects and at all levels of the university, the ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive matters, and hard work. Experience in all areas of management and academia is required.
- Academic Department Chairs (undergraduate and graduate departments/programs)
- Professional Development Director
- Vice Provost for Academic Support Services
- Center for Teaching and Learning
- Institutional Research
- Director of Library
- Director of Admissions
- Director of Student Affairs
- Student Finance and Scholarships
- Serves as a member of the senior leadership team of the university in overseeing the functions of the university and planning for its future
- Speaks on behalf of the President during the President’s absence from campus
- Reports to the Academic and Student Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Upholds the academic integrity of the university
- Articulates the long-term vision and strategic plan to guide the development of academic affairs within the university
- Oversees the accreditation process
- Establishes priorities and plans for curricular development
- Introduces, oversees and maintains policies and procedures regarding academics, faculty and students, in particular the Faculty Handbook, Student Handbook and the Academic Catalog
- Fosters intellectual interaction at the university through forums and research seminars
- Coordinates research priorities and funding for the faculty scholarship and professional development
- Coordinates and oversees all academic committees including the Faculty Senate
- Oversees enrollment, manages course schedules including decisions concerning adding and dropping courses from the schedule, preparation of the Academic Calendar, final exam schedule, etc.
- Oversees and guides student advising by members of the faculty and the Office of Student Affairs, including faculty/student grievances
- Oversees the selection, recruitment, promotion and evaluation of faculty
- Appoints all chairs and directors of academic and academic support departments reporting to him
- Serves as the main point of contact to all ministries and organizations regarding academic affairs
- Implements other projects assigned by the President
- Terminal degree and senior academic rank as well as a successful teaching record at the university level
- Prior administrative experience at the level of Dean or above
- Exceptional leadership, administrative, management and communication skills
- Demonstrated curriculum development and accreditation experience
- Extensive and successful work experience in a multicultural environment
- Commitment to the liberal arts tradition, high teaching quality, research, professional programs and to high academic standards
- Ability to foster a sense of community and promote teamwork in a rapidly changing educational environment
- Ability to manage budgets and develop budget priorities
Salary and Benefits:
The university provides a competitive salary plus benefits allowance, medical and life insurance coverage, annual travel allowance and furnished housing.
To apply send a cover letter, résumé, list of 3 professional references, as one PDF document attachment to email@example.com. Include “Provost” in the email subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply for Provost
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly