Position Title Housing Assistant - Part Time
Position Number S00186
Job Description Summary
The Housing Assistant will assume responsibility for a residential apartment complex of up to 412 residents when the Residence Life Coordinator is unavailable. Responsibilities could include: emergency response (contacting Public Safety, 911 or on-call maintenance and being available for any needs they have); supervision of student staff who work inside the housing complex and clubhouse, and oversight of student-run programming efforts. The Housing Assistant could also be asked to assist with special events, such as Preview Days or Orientation, or to assist with application processing. This is a part-time position with non-standard working hours which will vary from week-to-week.
• Upholds Housing and Residence Life policy and procedure
• Responds appropriately to student concerns
• Responds to emergency and crisis situations
• Supervises Resident Assistants and Housing Clubhouse Assistants
• Provides day-to-day management of housing complex in absence of Residence Life Coordinator
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned by the Director of Housing
• Subject to on call and call back duties
• After hours/evening/overnight work is required
Knowledge Required by the Position
• Knowledge of college on-campus housing policies and procedures
• Knowledge of on-campus housing standards and practices
• Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs
• Knowledge of Board of Regents policies
• Knowledge of University System of Georgia policies
• Skill in the supervision of student workers
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
• Skill in oral and written communication
The Director of Housing and the Residence Life Coordinator assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include East Georgia State College and Board of Regents policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
Complexity/Scope of Work
• The work consists of varied duties in the coordination of the residence life programs for the college.
• The purpose of this position is to coordinate residence life programs in the absence of the Residence Life Coordinator. Success in this position contributes to a successful housing program.
• Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, students, vendors, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, or to motivate or influence persons.
• The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
• The work is typically performed in an office.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
This position has indirect supervision over assigned student workers. Any concerns will be reported to the Director of Housing for review.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a high school diploma.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for two years.
• Experience within a residence life/housing position in a college/university setting is strongly preferred. The successful candidate should possess excellent managerial, leadership, and communication skills and an ability to act independently and to react appropriately in a crisis situation.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources at 478-289-2035. Deaf and Hard of Hearing callers may access our campus phone numbers by utilizing your state relay service (such as the Georgia Relay Service) or by utilizing Video Remote Services. East Georgia State College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Tobacco-free Institution, Federal law requires ID and employment eligibility verification prior to employment. Georgia is an Open Records state. East Georgia State College (EGSC) is an associate and baccalaureate degree granting, residential, liberal arts state college of the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to both academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of East Georgia State College.
Complete College Georgia
East Georgia State College strives to create and maintain a learning environment maximizing the opportunity for each student to succeed. Each individual student’s academic success is important. Accordingly, every employee of the college has a responsibility to carry out his/her position duties in a manner which enhances the learning environment and communicates that message to students each working day.
This position description describes the specific duties and responsibilities of this position. In addition, each EGSC staff member has the responsibility to contribute as needed to other projects and initiatives to assure that EGSC carries out its mission and attains its vision. This may, from time to time, require active participation on committees or performance of other duties not specifically described in this position description.
Open Date 09/28/2016
Open Until Filled Yes
An offer of employment is contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with East Georgia State College, as determined by East Georgia State College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials, and if applicable, a satisfactory credit check, Motor Vehicle Record (MVR), physical and drug screening.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Current EGSC students will not be considered.
Apply through company website - https://employment.ega.edu/postings/search