University of Delaware
Job Title Literacy Specialist
Job ID 104662
Location Newark, DE
Literacy Specialist, ELL
Professional Development Center for Educators
Pay Grade: 30E
Deadline: Open until Filled
The Professional Development Center for Educators (PDCE) is a professional development and policy center in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Delaware. The Literacy - English Language Learner Specialist has responsibility for working with partnership schools and districts in Delaware's three counties to design and deliver content-rich, evidence-based professional development and coaching customized for schools, teachers, and administrators. The specialist will also supervise student teacher placements (as needed). Depending on qualifications, the specialist might also hold a secondary faculty appointment in the appropriate academic department or school and be assigned instructional responsibilities in the elementary or secondary education program.
- Design and provide professional development in literacy and for English language learner (ELL) programs in consultation with school district officials, faculty, Department Chair, and PDCE Director in partnership districts and schools
- Participate in literacy/ELL professional development programs across the state delivered in conjunction with the Delaware Department of Education.
- Maintain knowledge of current and emerging research related to relevant content and pedagogy in reading/writing/ELL instruction.
- Participate in Learning Focused Solution (LFS) trainings and be certified as an LFS trainer
- Stay abreast of the State of Delaware initiatives and the Common Core State Standards.
- Collect and analyze data needed to evaluate effectiveness of professional development initiatives and impact on teacher/principal effectiveness and students' achievement.
- Collaborate with the Delaware Department of Education on reading/ELL-related activities.
- Collaborate with, and provide guidance and leadership to, teachers, principals, and staff in carrying out program objectives.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and maintenance of policies, objectives, and short-and long-range planning; develop and implement projects to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
- Supervise student teachers as needed.
- Write grants and respond to RFPs.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Master's degree required; Ph.D. or Ed.D. preferred in English Language Arts (ELA) and English language learners (ELL) with specialization in literacy (assessment and intervention focus preferred).
- A minimum of five [ASJ1] years of experience as a ELL/ELA teacher/literacy specialist with excellent evaluations.
- Certification in both ELL and ELA teacher/literacy specialist.
- Experience working with English language learners.
- Experience working with Career and Technical Education teachers.
- Training or experience with Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP).
- Experience providing professional development for PK-12 teachers and administrators.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly with teachers, administrators, and university faculty.
- Strong record using formative assessments and student performance data to guide instruction.
- Knowledge of research related to effective teacher preparation, mentoring, differentiated instruction, literacy instruction, and ELLs.
- Valid driver's license and willingness to provide professional development and coaching in all three DE counties and out-of-state as needed.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html