May be expected to work various shifts to include nights, weekends, and holidays.
Under the general supervision of the Executive Chef, Sous Chef and Residential Dining Manager prepares quality menu items through own efforts and/or through the coordination of assigned lead cooks. May work independently. Maintains food preparation and safety standards and complies with health code.
The purpose of the UCCS Food Service Cook 2 is to prepare quality food for the resident dining community and catering through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, and services in a sanitary and safe environment according to UCCS Dining and Food Services specifications. Position conducts or assists in supervising the preparation and/or presentation and service of various foods including salads, desserts, appetizers, soups, stews, convenience food items, entrees, sandwiches, dressings and garnishes and/or baked goods.
This position is expected to maintain collegial relationships with all campus constituents including faculty, staff and students. The position works closely with all staff and student staff in the residential food operations.
- Take orders and provide patrons quick and courteous service
- Prepare and be able to train others to prepare the customer's order using the proper recipe, portion and technique
- Follow proper cooking, storage, and food handling techniques and assist in training student workers
- Assist in the supervision, along with the student managers, of the preparation and cooking of food at a variety of platforms including breakfast, salad bar, deli, grill, pizza, dinner entrees and catering events as assigned
- Keep work area clean, safe, and orderly at all times
- Complete and supervise training on all pieces of equipment prior to use
- Assemble, disassemble, and clean kitchen equipment
- Assist in all phases of set up, service and clean up in operation as needed
- May assist in storeroom duties such as receiving orders, rotating stock and inventory.
- Position may be assigned as "Essential Services Designation" - meaning required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare
- Function as production assistant or work leader over food handling position/select procedures
- Determine practical solutions to problems and apply processes, techniques, and methods
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Any combination of education, training, and experience, which demonstrates the knowledge and skill to perform the duties and responsibilities as described.
- Engage regardless of ethnic, racial, political, gender, religious, intellectual background
- Ability to bend, stoop, twist and lift up to 60 pounds when storing, stocking and gathering prepared products and/or inventory items.
- Ability to stand and walk on hard floors for extended hours.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Customer service concepts and techniques to meet or exceed customer need and expectations
- Skill in preparing foods and desserts
- Safe and proper use of materials and equipment used in dining or food service facility
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be non-exempt from (eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
Hourly Pay Rate: $10.81 to $13.50.
Leave will accrue based on percentage of time worked. For example an employee who works an average of 6 hours a day will accrue 11 hours of vacation a month.
Employees are expected to work between 32-40 hours a week during the fall and spring semesters. Vacation will not be granted during the fall and spring semesters and must be taken during the summer semester or during breaks between semesters. Management may assign vacation time based on work needs of unit. University holidays are considered floating holidays and are assigned by Management. Employees in this position are paid monthly, on the last working day of the month with the exception of June which is paid on the first working day of July.
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- No less than 5 years' experience in commercial food preparation and service.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Have completed or successfully complete ServSafe certification within 2 weeks of hire.
- Experience in the training and/or supervision of staff.
- Colorado Driver's License - Regular
Special Instructions to Applicants:- Position is open until filled. - Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/careers. - Upon request, please be prepared to provide five references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40253 - UCCS Dining and Food Services
Posting Date: May 30, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joel Bagley
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00001902