Public Affairs/Communication Specialist II (REPOSTED WITH NEW FILING DEADLINE)
Salary Range: $3,515 - $5,704 per month (anticipated hiring salary: $3,515 per month)
Note: This is a full-time (40 hours per week), probationary, exempt position
Our work in the Kremen School of Education and Human Development emphasizes the commitment to preparing educators, counselors, and educational leaders who are inclusive of diversity and embrace a respect for differences. We want to reassure our students that our school will continue to be a place of inclusivity as we prepare educators and counselors to work towards social justice in our communities. We actively reject messages of bigotry, racism and misogyny and continue to advocate for linguistically and culturally diverse students.
As future educators, counselors, and educational leaders, our role becomes more critical. The Kremen School would like to reaffirm President Castro's statement of Fresno State's commitment to foster an inclusive climate where everyone and every voice matters. Not only do we strive towards our mission of preparing leaders in diverse communities, we also strive to make sure that our leaders in schools respect the children they serve.
Under the supervision of the Dean of the Kremen School of Education and Human Development and the lead work direction of the Administrative Services Manager, this position is the school resource person, responsible for media relations and the creation and dissemination of communications projects for the school, its departments, programs and institutes in accordance with the School's vision, mission, and goals. This position creates, manages, and implements media updates, works closely with University Communications, and maintains strong relationships with each of the departments, programs, institutes, centers, and development director. The incumbent is expected to work closely with University Communications to ensure a consistent campus strategy is developed and executed. Work is performed autonomously under general supervision and requires regular exercising of judgment and discretion to interpret policies and procedures and objectives. Work is reviewed for soundness of judgment.
- Responsible for the coordination of the Kremen School marketing, advertising, and social media including, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Independently perform communication assignments related to media relations, publication development, marketing and research, and serve as a media spokesperson and/or senior editor
- Create flyers, brochures, event programs, website, forms, information materials, press releases, social media communications, marketing and promotional materials, etc. for the Kremen School, its programs, and institutes in print and electronic media to highlight activities and accomplishments
- Collaborate with designers, photographers, faculty, and others on the theme, design and content of print, electronic and web-based publications
- Communicate and coordinate purchases with vendors for Kremen School promotional materials
- Copy, edit, proofread, and revise communications
- Responsible for the coordination and maintenance of the School's website and social media accounts ensuring information is current and useful
- Responsible for the School master calendar, ensuring the aggregation of school events and activities
- Communicate with interpersonal contacts in person, by email or phone
- Research recruitment trends to develop, implement, and sustain an effective outreach to prospective students and affiliates
- Facilitate marketing meetings with school personnel, work with departments on event media (conferences, social events, programs, etc.) and coordinate annual school open house
- Attend and assist with the coordination of the Kremen School annual convocation ceremony and other school events (some nights and weekends) including but not limited to photograph, provide live media updates, and real time press releases
- Perform other duties in support of the Kremen School of Education and Human Development
- Work in cooperation with the Administrative Services Manager on advertising for Kremen School
- Work with the Director of Development on outreach efforts to alumni and friends of the Kremen School
- Work in coordination with University Communications on press releases and other communication projects
- Report and utilize web and social media analytics results
- Maintain image library for school-wide use
- Assist with the planning, coordination, and promotion of school events independently and as needed
- Attend and represent the school at University communication meetings
- Retrieve data to run program reports and prepare documents as requested
- Prepare marketing report to be included in the annual report to the provost
- Prepare and process expense forms, printing services requests, as well as other financial forms as needed
- Attend training sessions to improve skills as needed
Knowledge, Skills &amp; Abilities:
- Working knowledge of and ability to apply standard theories, practices, principles and techniques related to communications in the public affairs, media, marketing, and/or sports information areas
- Foundation knowledge of general practices, methods, and procedures related to public affairs, media relations, marketing, and/or sports information
- Working knowledge of copyright and other applicable laws pertaining to publications and the media
- Working knowledge of marketing and research techniques and methods
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to effectively use media outlets including planning media coverage and media publicity campaigns for the university and events
- Thorough knowledge of web communication techniques, vehicles and formats
- Knowledge of interview techniques
- Strong story development and journalistic writing skills, as well as advanced editorial skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including strong public speaking, listening and interpretive skills
- Demonstrated ability to keep abreast of campus events and subject matter expertise in relation to current events to identify and capitalize on media opportunities that will promote the university and increase positive media coverage
- Build and manage more sophisticated media contacts
- Effectively use web technology to achieve communication goals
- Analyze and select pertinent facts and integrate them into communication vehicles
- Define and deliver media messages
- Apply market research to identify communication needs and target audiences
- Apply appropriate statistical techniques and methods to research or sports information
- Provide lead work direction
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor's degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field
- Two years progressively responsible professional experience in marketing and communications
- A history of regular attendance and positive performance evaluations
- Possess a valid driver's license and ability to meet the requirements of Fresno State's "Safe Driving" policy
- Experience with administrative marketing, desktop publishing packages, and graphic design
- Experience with web content maintenance systems (e.g. OmniUpdate)
- Experience with social media management
- Proficient in use of office software packages (Microsoft Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint), computer (PC or Macintosh)
- Working knowledge of basic office systems and ability to learn to use a broad range of technology systems and packages including MS Publisher and Adobe Creative Cloud applications including, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, punctuation and spelling, and ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing
- Travel to and attend various functions, meetings, and conferences as required (some nights and weekends)
- Create and update webpage content in content management system
- Use web and social media to achieve communication goals
- A bachelor's degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or related field
- Experience working in college or university setting
- Experience developing, creating and editing electronic/multimedia and web content
- Experience in the use of social media in business/institutional setting
- Experience discerning work priorities and meeting deadlines
- Experience creating promotional materials (e.g., brochures, flyers)
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the work group and serve as a liaison for the unit to other academic departments
- Independently handle multiple and competing work priorities
- Work effectively in a highly consultative and collaborative environment
Applications received by June 13, 2017 will be reviewed for minimum qualifications and given full consideration by the hiring manager and/or search committee. Qualified applicants received after that date will be forwarded upon request to the hiring manager and/or search committee.
Complete the required fields on the online application, a resume, and three professional references, including telephone numbers, are required. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the position is also required. Full consideration will not be given to applicants who fail to complete all application requirements.
Pursuant to Executive Order 1088, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
How To Apply:
To apply for this or any open position at Fresno State visit our online employment site at: http://jobs.csufresno.edu/
Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be satisfactorily completed (as determined by the CSU) before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may be the basis for rescinding an offer of employment and/or affect the continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive.
California State University, Fresno annual security report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Fresno State, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to or accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, alcohol/drug use, crime prevention, reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Campus Police Department or by accessing the following web site: http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/police/clery/index.html
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Other Applicant Information:
Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their application materials via automatic email reply. In addition, qualified applicants will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process.
It is the policy of the California State University to fill vacant positions represented by the California State University Employees' Union (CSUEU) with qualified applicants currently employed on the campus. Other applicants may be selected when it is necessary to meet the best interests of the campus by obtaining specialized skills and abilities not available from campus applicants.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Order 883 prohibits discrimination and Executive Order 927 prohibits harassment, on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity, per HR 2004-12), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Retaliation against individuals for complaining about these proscribed conduct, opposing such conduct, or participating in an investigation or proceeding involving such conduct is prohibited by both executive orders.
Further, the California State University, Fresno's statement of commitment to equal employment opportunity principles is also found in the various collective bargaining agreements.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to offer high-quality educational opportunities to qualified students at the bachelor's and master's levels, and in certain applied disciplines, at the doctoral level. The current student enrollment is approximately 23,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and world. California State University, Fresno promotes student learning and community engagement through faculty scholarship and service learning opportunities in collaboration with community organizations, educational institutions, industry, business and government. The University was one of the first U.S. Colleges and Universities to be selected by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for its Community Engagement Classification.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 600,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The campus is within easy driving distance of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, the Monterey Peninsula, Lake Tahoe, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.