Veterinary Technician (Temporary)
The Veterinary Technician provides routine animal medical care and assists with animal medical procedures, including physical exams, observation of animals for disease and discomfort, administration of medications and treatments, collection of diagnostic samples (e.g., blood, fecal samples, etc.), and the maintenance and monitoring of special feed and water schedules. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for the management and maintenance of rodent colonies, including that of breeding colonies, and will assist with the rodent health surveillance program. The Veterinary Technician will ensure that supply inventories are maintained and that OR, ICU and other related facilities are properly set up.
Accountabilities (For Non-exempt Employees Include Percent of Effort):
- Observe animals for disease and discomfort, complete appropriate action forms and health records, and report findings to supervisor. Perform animal transfers. Assist in physical exams. Assist veterinary staff with animal procedures such as collection of biological samples and administration of medications and treatments and keeping accurate records.
- Manage rodent colonies including maintenance of breeding colonies, individual identification, weaning, other minor procedures and handling.
- Assist in administration of treatments and medications and special feed and water and monitor of schedules. Assist in the collection of diagnostic samples (e.g. blood, fecal samples). Assist in rodent health surveillance program.
- Conduct equipment and supply inventory and ordering; maintenance and update maintenance files. Set up of OR and ICU and other related facilities.
- Must be able to lift/carry/push/pull 50 lbs without assistance.
- Some weekend/holiday/evening work is required.
- Participation in the department’s Emergency Response Team will be strongly encouraged.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Essential Requirements):
- High School or equivalent plus one (1) year in laboratory animal science, OR
- Degree preferred in Animal Science or a related field plus one year of experience in laboratory animal science.
- AALAS certification as a LAT preferred and/or Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT).
- Must have animal handling skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education and/or work experience may be considered.
- Handling and care of lab animal species - Thorough knowledge of the handling and care of lab animal species
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Computer Literacy – Using standard and job specific systems (i.e. Microsoft Word and Excel)
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Speech Recognition — The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Written Comprehension — The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented
- Work Styles
- Initiative – a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges
- Adaptability/Flexibility – being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace
- Attention to detail – being careful about detail and thoroughness in completing work tasks
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us! ]]>