Career & Academic Coach
Career & Academic Coach
Requisition Number: STFR003765
Division/College: College of Professional Studies
Location: Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
The Professional Advancement Network and the College of Professional Studies invite applications from qualified individuals to provide graduate and undergraduate students a personalized academic and career coaching experience from the point of admission through graduation and beyond. Each coach will partner with an assigned caseload of students to facilitate the development of an academic and professional development plan that incorporates intentional career planning and exploration, experiential learning, and engagement with networks and communities.
Candidates should hold a master’s degree (or equivalent work experience) and have a track record of strong academic and professional performance. Candidates must possess a minimum of 3 to 5 years professional experience, characterized by increasing levels of responsibility, preferably in an academic or student affairs/student services environment or in HR/ corporate recruiting/ or related area; Experience in a service or leadership role such as an academic advisor/counselor/ coach/ human resources/client or customer service professional or similar capacity preferred. The successful candidate will have a passion for educating and supporting students in a higher education environment, demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of students (particularly adult learners, international students, and online learners) and knowledge of professional development and career advising practice. Hold professional certifications in related fields will be considered a plus.
Candidates will serve students studying in Boston, Charlotte, Seattle, Silicon Valley, and online, and are sought in both these locations and nationally.
The successful candidate will have/be:
• Passion for educating and supporting students
• Knowledge of professional development and career advising practices
• Familiarity with corporate recruiting practices, hiring trends, and employment market channels
• Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs and concerns of a diverse student population;
• Experience working with adult learners, international students, and online students;
• Student-centered and have a strong sense of responsibility for student success;
• Detail-oriented and organized;
• Strong prioritization, time management, and follow-through skills;
• Excellent interpersonal, writing and presentation skills;
• Comfortable using multiple mediums to communicate, esp. in the online environment;
• Current and stay abreast of research in the field of academic and student affairs;
• Able to work collaboratively and independently in a rapidly changing environment;
• Initiative to exercise sharp critical thinking skills and sound judgment to problem solve independently within organization guidelines and policies;
• Creative in coming up with ideas to improve service to students;
• The ability to discern appropriate level of communication with multiple audiences and maintain confidentiality around complex and sensitive issues to be in compliance with applicable ADA, FERPA, SEVIS, and other applicable state, federal, University, and College of Professional Studies guidelines;
• Comfortable operating in a fast-paced work environment, with demonstrated ability and comfort to efficaciously handle multiple tasks and projects;
• Proficient in the use Microsoft Office Suite tools products;
• Certification (or be willing to obtain such certification) in one or more areas directly related to the work of the position or one’s professional field, such as MBTI, career certifications, PMI, APR, etc.
• Flexible in work assignments and work hours to include some evenings and weekends.
It is highly desirable for the candidate to
• Have industry experience related to one or more programs offered
• Have experience in working with international students in an academic advising, academic support, and /or career development context;
• have an interest in conducting research on effective practices in direct service to students;
• have strong technological skills and experience using various software, programs, and tools;
• have experience with Salesforce (Customer Relation Management system) and Banner mainframe database system
• Have an interest in working with students to navigate and understand career paths in the following areas:
-Leadership and Management
-Regulatory Affairs in Science and Industry
-Government and Civic Engagement
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Careers@Northeastern
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.