Web Production Specialist
With more than 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students, 350 faculty, 1,200 staff, and upwards of 45,000 living alumni, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) is the second-largest undergraduate college at Cornell University and the third largest college of its kind in the United States. In national surveys, CALS ranks as the best college of agriculture and related sciences in the country. Our teaching and research facilities are among the finest available. The college’s educational programs are carefully designed to ensure that every student’s education is geared to contemporary, real-world issues. Faculty, staff, and students at CALS are at the cutting edge of research in the life sciences, environmental sustainability, agricultural science, economic development, communication and information science. The Land-Grant mission of the College, which encompasses research, education, and extension programs, allows for the creation and dissemination of knowledge that makes a difference for students, the citizens of New York, the nation, and people around the globe.
The CALS Office of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the internal and external relations efforts for the college. From covering college news to publishing our alumni magazine, CALS Marketing and Communications promotes the groundbreaking scientific discoveries and internationally renowned expertise of our faculty and staff. Other areas of responsibility for the office include the marketing of CALS programs and initiatives, overseeing the college’s social media and web presence, producing events, and performing crisis and strategic communications leadership. In addition, through effective media strategies and in partnership with the Cornell University Media Relations office, CALS Marketing and Communications places breaking news and expert commentary from CALS personnel in regional, national, and international publications.
Under the direction of the marketing and communications manager within the CALS Office of Marketing and Communications, the WEB PRODUCTION SPECIALIST will work closely with the Marketing and Communications’ digital team—including back-end developers in the CALS Office of Information Technology (CALS OIT), the digital media strategists, the marketing and communications manager, and external vendors. The digital team will take CALS’ websites and applications from concepts to working products. Operating in a dynamic, fast-pasted environment, the WEB PRODUCTION SPECIALIST will collaborate on the office’s many strategic communications priorities, including the CALS website redesign, for which this role will serve as the technical lead, working across teams with a selected website design and development vendor, to leverage the college’s new brand identity on CALS’ many digital properties.
The WEB PRODUCTION SPECIALIST must have the ability to multi-task, effectively manage projects, and hit firm deadlines; communicate ideas very clearly (and in a manner that can be understood by non-technical personnel); collaborate across teams (e.g. CALS Office of Information Technology) while leading multiple complex projects that cross digital mediums and organizational boundaries; proactively assess and adopt emerging technologies and strategies for the web; be committed to delivering excellent, dynamic web experiences that foster cross-departmental collaboration; and maximize engagement for CALS’ many audiences.
The WEB PRODUCTION SPECIALIST will work collaboratively with a broad cross-section of college and university leadership, faculty, staff, and students. This individual will be called upon to collaborate on related website, social media, public relations, or marketing projects to support the office of Marketing and Communications and the college.
General Duties include:
- Support a strategy-driven, research-based, team approach to website design and development.
- Resolve technical issues (bug fixes) with the college's hosted web content management system (CMS), developed in Drupal 7.
- Operate as main technical liaison with external partners and hosting services.
- Provide web-programming services in support of web content-development strategies.
- Serve as technical lead on web-related marketing, recruitment, and enrollment management development work overseen by the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- Provide programming for web-related reports required for planning and assessment as outlined by the digital team and Assistant Dean of Marketing and Communications.
- Develop new pages/features/sites using CALS/Cornell IT supported services with appropriate languages (XHMTL, CSS, PHP).
- Manage and provide user support for templates available in CALS CMS and deploy for use as needed by web editors.
- Generate, improve upon, and maintain online library of tutorials to facilitate support for cross-college site editors.
- Support site-wide UI enhancements. Ability to develop and maintain dynamic elements within CALS’ website. Be able to match the technology to the need, create and deploy these elements.
- Identify functionality needs and UI improvements; work with CALS Mar/Comm and CALS IT to develop, document and deploy these custom elements. (i.e. website redesign, news system, Drupal modules).
- Assist with quality assurance testing in collaboration with CALS OIT.
- Bachelor's degree, and 3+ years of experience; or equivalent combination.
- Experience with user-centered design (UX/UI).
- Some development knowledge/experience with XHTML, CSS, XML, version control.
- Ability to be a "team-player" and to work well with a diverse group in a professional and respectful work environment.
- Fluency in project management to help establish realistic goals and project plans, as well as deliver work on schedule while adjusting to evolving priorities and tasks.
- Demonstrable skills in strategy, time management, problem solving, critical thinking, and written and oral communication.
- Experience in gathering requirements from users and leading a project from launch to implementation and maintenance.
- Proficiency with a wide range of software (internet and networking applications), programming languages, markup languages and web browsers.
- Ability to communicate technical language in layperson’s terms.
- Some experience with database design and deployment to support web applications.
- Ability to operate in a busy support environment and provide a high level of support to executive offices of the college as well as departments and programs within the college.
- Working knowledge of the Adobe Creative suite for extracting graphical assets.
- One to three years experience in front-end development with XHTML, CSS, XML, GIT.
- One to three years experience on the web page server side scripting with CMS, preferably Drupal 7 or 8.
- Experience with software engineering concepts such as defect tracking, version control, and regression testing.
- Knowledge of Cornell University as well as the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
- An understanding of best practices and web trends within higher education.
- Experience working in a Marketing and Communications higher education environment.
- Knowledge of search optimization strategies and application of Google Analytics within higher education.
- Knowledge of current and emerging digital communication trends, including best practices for delivering content to mobile devices.
*Resume and cover letters required for consideration.
When applying through our system, please remember to attach your application materials (Resume/Cover Letter/CV) in either Microsoft Word or PDF format. In the Experience section of your application, use the ‘Drop Files Here’ box to manually drag document(s) into your application. For a more detailed description and instructions on how to apply online please click here as an external candidate or click here if you are an internal candidate. Please note: Cornell Employees must apply through the Internal Cornell Career site.
Visa sponsorship is unavailable for this position. This position does not provide relocation assistance.
Apply for Web Production Specialist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly