Dean for Master's and New Programs
The Graduate Center (GC) is the principal doctorate-granting institution of the City University of New York (CUNY). Offering more than thirty doctoral degrees from Anthropology to Urban Education, and fostering globally significant research in a wide variety of centers and institutes, the GC provides academic training in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences. The Graduate Center is also integral to the intellectual and cultural vitality of New York City. Through its extensive public programs, The Graduate Center hosts a wide range of events - lectures, conferences, book discussions, art exhibits, concerts, and dance and theater that enrich and inform.
Reporting to the Provost, the Dean for Master's and New Programs is a core member of the Provost's leadership team, and provides vision, direction, and leadership in delivering quality academic programs, initiatives and policies related to Master's and Non-degree students at the GC. The Dean is an active participant in daily operations and strategic planning for the Provost's Office.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with faculty to develop new and innovative Master's and Non-degree programs; guides proposals through University and State approval processes;
- Oversees the admission and advisement of Master's and Non-degree students and monitors the programs;
- Collaborates with the Offices of Admissions and Communications and Marketing to recruit students, with attention to diversity;
- Liaises with the Office of Career Planning and Professional Development, the Mina Rees Library, and other GC offices to support Master's students;
- Develops extra-curricular programs and services to support the student community, including student health and well-being; develops orientation events;
- Promote academic excellence through scholarly endeavors, oversees curriculum planning and advising, as well as through program reviews and regular outcome-based assessment;
- Represents the interests of Master's students by serving on various committees and being involved in different initiatives; and
- Performs other related duties.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent and seven (7) years of related experience. Desirable candidates will hold the minimum rank of Associate Professor with tenure.
- Deep understanding of and experience with academic policies, procedures, and culture.
- Demonstrated experience with advising students and faculty on academic matters.
- Energetic, adaptable, and collaborative mind-set, with strong skills for consensus building among faculty and staff.
- Excellent organizational, communication and presentation skills.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter that specifies your relevant experience and what you hope to accomplish in this position, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format. Please upload all documents in one file.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin on April 12, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Graduate Center
Job Title: Dean for Master's and New Programs
Job ID: 16444