The Ballistics Engineer will plan the utilization of facilities, equipment, materials, material handling and personnel to develop, evaluate, test, and disposition ammunition products by performing all necessary functions to ensure that HMT is producing the highest quality ammunition and components.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Using project management capabilities, be able to initiate, coordinate, lead and finalize small, medium and large ballistics engineering projects across multi-disciplines.
• Solve tough multi-dimensional problems by determining the root cause.
• Recommends methods for improving worker efficiency and reducing waste of materials and utilities such as restructuring job duties, reorganizing workflow, relocating workstations and equipment and purchase of equipment.
• Confers with management and engineering staff to implement plans and recommendations.
• Initiate and implement cost improvements in products, processes, and work methods, including capital projects.
• Provide ballistics support for manufacturing and other engineering groups.
• Schedule production and certification of new SAAMI ammunition lots. Conduct "Round Robin" testing of current SAAMI Reference Lots.
• Shoot firearms of all types and calibers to evaluate ammunition performance.
• Safe conduct of non-standard test requests from Management, Customer Service, and Process Engineering.
• Administers the Grand American testing protocol during manufacture, including field certification testing.
• Provides ballistics laboratory diagnostic and ballistics information, products, and services by establishing preparation procedures; developing and implementing analytical procedures to ensure consistency and quality control; evaluating ballistics information for abnormalities; consulting with others on the HMT development team; reporting results according to protocols mandated by HMT.
• Implements new programs related to the ballistics laboratory, tests, methods, instrumentation, and procedures by investigating alternatives; preparing proposals; developing and performing parallel testing; monitoring progress.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications (SAAMI, NSSF, FRONT SIGHT, AGI ETC).
• Resolves problems by consulting with Development Team, technical coordinators, and other HMT professionals.
• Experience: 5 years minimum experience. Must have familiarity with SAAMI specs, C.I.P standards and IDPA requirements. Experience in the ammunition field and a passion for loading and shooting preferred.
• Education: Bachelors Degree requires. Preferred degree in the area of Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or Material Science preferred.
• Communication: Solid people and communication skills requires and must be able to articulate both verbally and in writing. .
• Supervision: Must be self-motivated and able to work alone meeting goals while under minimal supervision.
• Aptitude: Must have good computer skills and know Microsoft Office programs as well as test equipment software. Must have mechanical aptitude. Must have the cognitive ability to think about and understand the meaning of raw data. Must have the aptitude to recognize when data doesn't look accurate.
• Attitude: Must be able to function as a team member in a cross-team functioning environment.
• Working conditions: Mostly indoors in isolating underground tunnel; often working alone. Exposed to vibrations, percussions, shocks, large and sudden blasts. Frequent standing and traversing concrete floors. Exposure to lead.
• Mental and physical demands: Maintain personal boundaries including managing work-socializing. Maintain a level head and eye for safety. Must have physical stamina to avoid "shell shock syndrome" caused by frequent loud firing explosives. Some light lifting of powder or bullets may be required.
• Confidential data: Access to company intellectual property must remain confidential and cannot be reproduced. Employee information must also be kept confidential.
• Travel requirements: Local travel from site to site. Some travel to trade shows (ex: Shot Show, NRA Show) may be required.
HMT is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Howell Munitions & Technology specializes in the development of ammunition, components, loading machinery and Original Equipment Manufacturer production. Using state of the art processes developed in Lewiston, Idaho, Howell Munitions & Technology and its brands achieve success by a commitment to quality, personalized service and a dedication that is unmatched in the shooting industry.
Sun, 28 May 2017 09:21:12 PDT