Custodial Supervisor (Provisional)
Under supervision, performs work of ordinary difficulty and responsibility supervising cleaning and maintenance of buildings, their furnishings and their immediate grounds.
There are no Assignment Levels within this classification. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as needed.
On an assigned tour of duty, supervises a small- to medium-sized group of employees, principally cleaners, engaged in cleaning and maintaining college buildings and their furnishings. This involves such tasks as sweeping, dusting, scrubbing, polishing, washing, shampooing carpets, cleaning sidewalks and walkways of dirt, debris and snow, gathering and disposing of refuse in accordance with New York City recycling regulations, operating elevators, moving school furniture, and mowing and caring for lawns.
- Inspects work of subordinates to insure maximum efficiency, economy and quality of work.
- Prepares work schedules utilizing college systems for scheduling and/or timekeeping.
- Stores and issues supplies.
- Trains or arranges for training of new employees.
- Monitors and evaluates employee performance in keeping with CUNY guidelines.
- Maintains records and prepares required reports.
- Oversees the use and maintenance of cleaning equipment such as compactors, extractors, buffing machines, vacuum cleaners, etc.
- May perform minor maintenance work such as replacing light bulbs.
- Ensures all appropriate safety procedures are observed in the performance of tasks.
- Directs the use of ladders in the performance of assigned tasks in compliance with all safety regulations.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Campus Operations is responsible for maintaining the buildings and grounds of Hostos Community College, keeping facilities in working order and providing a comfortable working and learning environment. As part of Campus Operations, the custodial unit is responsible for the cleaning of all campus property including buildings, sidewalks and parking lots. The College is seeking applications for a Custodial Supervisor to perform tasks as described in the General Duties section.
Please note that this position serves as essential staff during emergency/snow storms.
Completion of an eighth grade education and three years of full-time experience in the cleaning and maintenance of a building.
- Additional education above the eighth grade may be substituted on a year for year basis for up to two years of the required work experience. However, all candidates must possess a minimum of one (1) year of full-time work experience as described above.
- For work experience requirements, CUNY considers full-time work to be 35 hours per week. Part-time experience of at least 20 hours per week may be prorated and credited instead of, but not in addition to, full-time experience during the same period. Part-time experience of less than 20 hours per week will not be credited at all.
- Demonstrated English language proficiency, including ability to speak, read, write, and understand English well enough to meet minimally acceptable performance standards set for job duties.
- By the completion of the probationary period, demonstrated competency in supervising employees.
Availability to work evening and weekend hours preferred.
New Hire: $31,781
This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigate to the following links: "Employment" and "Search Job Postings."
Please attach resume, cover letter, and three professional references.
June 24, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hostos Community College
Job Title: Custodial Supervisor (Provisional)
Job ID: 16849
Full/Part Time: Full-Time