Stationary Engineer (Temporary)
- Under general supervision, is responsible for the operation, maintenance, adjustments, testing and repair of steam power plant, air conditioning, chiller plant, fire protection systems, electromechanical building equipment and related auxiliary systems in public buildings; performs related work.
- Operates, maintains repairs and adjusts manuals and automatic gas and oil fired boilers, furnaces, steam reducing stations, engines, turbines , pumps, valves, heat exchangers, generators, motors, water treatment systems, cooling towers, condensers, evaporators, emergency generators and associated equipment for heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and lighting in public buildings and refuse incinerators.
- Performs periodic inspections of equipment and repairs of such equipment.
- Schedules, performs and may oversee preventive maintenance.
- Directs the work of oilers, high pressure plant tenders and other subordinate personnel assigned to HVAC plant operations.
- Takes responsible charge of a watch and while so engaged, supervises and directs subordinates personnel; addresses emergency repairs as required.
- Operates control consoles in control rooms for building maintenance and building automation systems.
- Adjusts HVAC systems water chemistry through testing, treatment, retesting and recording of readings.
- Prepares requisitions for materials and spare parts in accordance with College procedures.
- Orients, trains and monitors subordinates and other personnel on plant operations and job related safety.
- Reads meters, gauges and other recording devices keeping logs of same.
- Prepares and maintains records and makes reports of both a technical and informational nature regarding HVAC maintenance and repair.
- A valid License for High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer issued by the New York City Department of Buildings.
- A valid certificate of qualification for Refrigerating Machine Operator (unlimited capacity) issued by the New York City Fire Department and a CFC Certificate issued by EPA for Handling Refrigerants.
For appointment in certain Colleges, candidates will also be required, within 90days from the day of appointment, to obtain a valid Standpipe Certificate and Automatic Sprinkler Certificate issued by the New York City Fire Department.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
The University previously announced a civil service test for Stationary Engineer (CUNY) (Exam #7027). Applicants should have taken this exam. When a civil service list is established, the College is required to make appointments from the certified list to fill all positions including those held by Provisional and/or Temporary employees. All Provisional and/or Temporary employees must take the appropriate civil service exam and score high enough to be reachable on the civil service list in order to be appointed. Applicants selected for this position will be required to submit proof of haven taken this exam.
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID 16820 or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Open until filled. Review of resumes to begin June 9, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Kingsborough Community College
Job Title: Stationary Engineer (Temporary)
Job ID: 16820
Full/Part Time: Full-Time