Financial Aid Advisor
In support of the campus mission, strategic plans and goals, Queens College seeks to fill a Financial Aid Advisor vacancy.
Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, the successful candidate will, in addition to the duties in the CUNY Title Overview, be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Counseling students regarding eligibility for Federal and State financial aid and assisting in all aspects of the financial aid process.
- Verifying PELL Grants; determining SEEK eligibility and processing Federal Direct loan applications.
- Conducting financial aid workshops and representing the financial aid office on various on and off campus events.
The position necessitates working some evenings and some occasional weekends.
Often referred to as "the jewel of the CUNY system," Queens College is a place of contrasts: An urban school in a suburban setting, where a large and diverse student body receives personalized attention. This formula has made us one of New York's premier educational institutions.
With a mission to prepare students to become leading citizens of an increasingly global society, we offer a rigorous education in the liberal arts and sciences under the guidance of a faculty dedicated to both teaching and research. Our liberal arts, science, and pre-professional programs earn us high rankings in prestigious college guides such as The Princeton Review America's Best Value Colleges. Our students graduate with the ability to think critically, address complex problems, explore various cultures, use modern technologies and information resources, and have won prominence in nearly every field.
Bachelor's Degree required.
Other qualifications include:
- At least one years' experience working with Federal and State financial aid regulations
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously with multiple priorities and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to meet customer needs; demonstrated organization skills; detail oriented and ability to multi task
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office Products such as Word, Excel and Power Point
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft/Oracle information systems in a higher education or government environment
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical and interpersonal communication skills
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Counsels applicants and students on eligibility for financial aid programs, assisting them in the application process.
- Verifies eligibility for Federal and State financial aid programs including grants, scholarships, and guaranteed student loans
- Performs application intake, evaluation, processing and awarding
- Assists in the production of Financial Aid online, print material, and websites
- Advises students on good academic standing requirements and the appeal process; reviews appeals for dependency overrides and budget adjustments
- Conducts group workshops and represents the financial aid office at various on- and off- campus events
- Serves as a liaison between the college office and Direct Loan Providers
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYfirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number (16848)
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
Please note that candidates must upload a cover letter describing related qualifications and experience, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) professional references as ONE DOCUMENT in any of the following formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
**Please use a simple name for the document that you upload, for example, JDoeResume. Documents with long names cannot be parsed by the application system.
July 23, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Queens College
Job Title: Financial Aid Advisor
Job ID: 16848
Full/Part Time: Full-Time