Dean for the School of Health Sciences and Professional Programs (York College/CUNY)
York College of the City University of New York (CUNY) invites applications for the position of the Dean for the School of Health Sciences and Professional Programs. The Dean for the School of Health Sciences and Professional Programs will provide administrative leadership for the school, its academic departments, programs, faculty and curricular affairs. Key responsibilities include the oversight of academic planning and budgeting for the school and leadership in developing and maintaining program accreditation, recruiting and evaluating faculty, establishing successful partnerships with health-related facilities and organizations, including the establishment of new student clinical sites, institutionally and with the other CUNY college's schools of health science, and exploring and developing new health sciences and professional programs.
In its 50-year history, York College has grown to more than 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students,17 academic departments and three schools (Arts and Sciences, Business and Information Systems and Health Sciences and Professional Programs). The School of Health Sciences and Professional Programs with its departments, programs and centers of excellence, seeks an academic leader with the experience, vision, collaborative spirit, and confidence to advance the school's mission and sustain the recent growth of educating new healthcare professionals who are fully prepared to meet the dramatic changes to the U.S. healthcare system, ethically grounded, and professionally committed to compassionate service within diverse communities.
This position reports to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. Working closely with faculty, department and program leaders, other deans, the Provost and the President, the Dean will also represent the School for Health Sciences and Professional Programs to university-wide projects and programs. He/she will provide leadership and support for grant development and grant sponsored programs as well as the earning and maintaining of accreditation for the school's departments and programs.
- Articulate and implement a vision for the School of Health Sciences and Professional Programs that will be consistent with the College's mission and growth.
- Lead the planning and implementation of innovative program initiatives and align the programs with national standards.
- Direct work of program chairs, school committees, and oversee curriculum and practicum / internship requirements, as necessary.
- Create structures, workflows and processes to streamline the design, development, and innovative rollout of new programs.
- Oversee program evaluation and revisions.
- Lead efforts for programmatic accreditation
- Collaborate with other stakeholders on different aspects of programs, policies, and academic operations.
- Work with Marketing and Admissions to market programs in an innovative fashion.
- Work with Academic Leadership Team on academic policies related to the programs
- Work with Regulatory and Compliance department on national, state, and program accreditation
- Work with Vendors on digital learning resources and technology improvements
- Work with Campus Administration on all things related to college programs, chairs, and faculty Regional Specialists on campus compliance and training, developing infrastructure for student support.
- In partnership with faculty and program councils, develop student learning outcomes, and direct and indirect measures to assess and improve the quality of all programs. Establish architecture for outcomes assessments and rubrics. Collaborate with other colleges to create standards for gathering and interpreting assessment data. Direct the development of assessments in courses and standards for grading and evaluation.
- Lead annual assessment of curriculum and program effectiveness and student learning outcomes. Establish key performance indicators of student success and metrics to gauge program effectiveness. Develop pro-active strategies for ongoing program quality improvements.
- Report annually on status of program quality and the effectiveness of the programs, including the achievement of outcomes, student success, student retention, curriculum currency and rigor, faculty performance and credentials, and adequacy of academic support services.
- Interview and recommend all health sciences and professional programs full-time faculty hires
- Serve as an advisor, mentor, and coach to school faculty and staff
- Provide leadership for all program and national accreditation efforts. Lead the development of self-study, prepare institution for visits and act as the liaison between programmatic accreditors and the different business units in the institution.
- Ensure that department chairs conduct advisory committee meetings and engage the professional and business community as the "voice" and "face" of the school. Ensure that each department chair and full-time faculty member are active in the community as well.
- Other duties as assigned by the Provost and the President.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience. An earned doctorate (or equivalent) degree and academic credentials for a tenured professorial appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor in an appropriate academic department is required for this position.
The following are highly preferred qualifications for this position at York:
- Significant (minimum of six (6) years) administrative experience at the level of department chair, dean, or other equivalent or higher position or rank in a degree granting institution.
- Significant academic achievements in research, course and program development.
- Professional knowledge and involvement with New York State's new Medicaid and related systems of patient quality health care.
- Commitment to urban education and to a diverse faculty and student body.
- Collaborative and collegial management style.
- Experience with curriculum review and budget management.
- Commitment to excellence in undergraduate research and scholarship.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application online through this job board as follows:
Go to www.cuny.edu
Select "Apply Now" then create or login to a user account and provide the requested information.
Click on Job Postings on CUNYfirst
Click Search job listings
Click on More search options
Search by Job Opening ID number 16835
Click on the Apply Now button. You will be prompted to log in or to create an account.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must include a cover letter,
CV/resume, and contact information for three references (email and telephone). Please upload these as ONE document in doc, rtf, or pdf format.
Closing Date - July 23, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: York College
Job Title: Dean for the School of Health Sciences and Professional Programs (York College/CUNY)
Job ID: 16835
Full/Part Time: Full-Time