Financial Aid Advisor - Student Financial Aid
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle "Dare To Do More" reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
With directions from the Financial Aid Manager, the Financial Aid Advisor provides assistance to students applying for federal, state and institutional aid and communicating academic college policies, as well as, but not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Advise students on financing their education at LaGuardia.
- Perform Title IV verification for students selected by the Federal government (includes income verification, selective service compliance, default issues verifying immigration status, etc.) to ensure the accuracy of data reported to the Department of Education.
- Notify students of missing information or documents.
- Provide assistance to students applying for federal, state and institutional aid.
- Update Student Financial Aid (SFA) records as needed to ensure timely payments.
- Respond to inquiries from students and maintain student and administrative records in accordance with CUNY Records and Retention policy.
- Conduct financial aid workshops and orientations as needed.
- Represent the department on and off campus as requested.
Bachelor's Degree required.
- A demonstrated commitment to providing quality student service in a diverse college is expected.
- Schedule must remain flexible during peak periods
- Knowledge of Federal and State Student Financial Aid regulations, programs, practices and procedures preferred.
- Knowledge of CUNYFirst and related Student Financial Services software (NSLDS) desirable.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Counsels applicants and students on eligibility for financial aid programs, assisting them in the application process.
- Verifies eligibility for Federal and State financial aid programs including grants, scholarships, and guaranteed student loans
- Performs application intake, evaluation, processing and awarding
- Assists in the production of Financial Aid online, print material, and websites
- Advises students on good academic standing requirements and the appeal process; reviews appeals for dependency overrides and budget adjustments
- Conducts group workshops and represents the financial aid office at various on- and off- campus events
- Serves as a liaison between the college office and Direct Loan Providers
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
CLOSING DATE7/1/2017 (Extended)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: Financial Aid Advisor - Student Financial Aid
Job ID: 16832
Full/Part Time: Full-Time