Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking an Assistant Director of Financial Aid who is enthusiastic,a team-player and has a dedicated work ethic.
The Assistant Director of Financial Aid assists in financial aid advising, scholarship awarding, funds management, coordination of student employment and college promotional activities. The Assistant Director of Financial Aid reports to the Director of Financial Aid.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
A. The Assistant Director of Financial Aid performs the following functions relating to providing students with access to the financial aid resources of the College:
1. Serves as Acting Director in the absence of the Director of Financial Aid.
2. Assists Director with oversight of document imaging system procedures
3. Meets with students to assist in applying for aid, determines eligibility for additional aid
when needed, addresses and/ or assists with student problems/ issues.
4. Assists in awarding federal, state and institutional financial aid programs. This includes selecting and awarding restricted- endowed scholarships.
5. Oversees staff verification of files selected by CPS
6. Oversees the Satisfactory Academic Progress activities
7. Assists Director with hiring, training and supervising student workers
8. In coordination with Director, reviews student files to determine eligibility for Professional Judgment and Dependency Overrides
9. Represents the Office of Financial Aid on various Institutional sub-committees as necessary and in the absence of the Director.
10. Must be available for evening and occasional weekend events as needed.
B. The Assistant Director of Financial Aid provides the following support with outside agencies and programs:
1. Attends State and Federal financial aid updates and training sessions.
2. Conducts and/ or assists the Financial Aid Director in conducting financial aid presentations to future students and parents.
3. Serves as liaison for consortium agreements with Ferris State University and Michigan State University
4. Other duties as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid.
• Bachelor’s Degree required, or Associate’s Degree with commensurate experience.
• Minimum three years work experience in financial aid, must be skilled in technology processes and applications.
Banner (Ellucian) Experience Preferred.
• Databases, spreadsheet programs and financial aid software
• Applicable federal and state laws governing Financial Aid
• Prior experience using Banner preferred.
• Microsoft Office programs, including Word and Excel.
• Customer service practices.
• Strong attention to detail is required.
• Ability to research, analyze, interpret and evaluate proposed programs and processes, both internal and external (U.S. Department of Education and other regulatory agencies).
• Ability to express ideas effectively orally and in writing.
• Maintain effective working relationships with other employees, including those in College departments outside of the Financial Aid Office.
• Able to work independently and with professional confidentiality.
• Ability to make public presentations of Financial Aid information.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Posting Number 20110569
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts