Director, Opening Nights Performing Arts
Job ID: 41741
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Apply On Or Before: 01/01/9999
Opening Nights Performing Arts
The Director, Opening Nights Performing Arts (ONPA) directs all aspects of the organization by administering and implementing strategies that advance the organization through the presentation of world-class programming, dissemination of educational opportunities in the arts, and creation of meaningful community engagement while achieving annual revenue goals (earned and philanthropic).
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of University Relations in the Office of the President, the Director will be a visionary leader on and off campus with expertise in performing arts programing, arts education, community engagement, philanthropy, strategic planning, arts marketing, and revenue generation.
The Director manages a staff of four (4) full-time employees (Director of Development, Marketing and Communications Manager, Education and Engagement Manager, and Artistic and Administrative Coordinator) with additional direct staff support from the Office of the President (HR/Finance), University Communications (Graphic Design/Web Design/Marketing/Brand Development), College of Fine Arts (University Ticketing), and multiple academic units (Facilities). The Executive Director is responsible for the leadership, design, execution, strategy, supervision, and administration of the Opening Nights Performing Arts series at Florida State University. The position serves as the primary resource for professional arts presentation at the University and works collectively and collaboratively with University and community stakeholders on performances, events, and education endeavors on and off campus.
• Provides innovative leadership in the execution of annual performing arts series programmatically, educationally, and financially.
• Directs daily operations and coordinates long-range strategic planning.
• Cultivation and solicitation of donors and patrons to enhance, support, and elevate ONPA through the FSU Foundation including the ONPA Development Council.
• Accountability for the formulation and administration of the annual operating budget of ONPA ensuring expenditures are in line with resources while achieving an appropriate balance between revenue generation and fundraising.
• Oversees the vision for collaborative and engaging arts education programs on and off campus.
• Responsible for the leadership, management, delegation, and mentorship of staff, interns, volunteers, and other stakeholders for the successful management and implementation of daily affairs, events, and performances at ONPA.
• Master’s Degree or higher and six years of experience in a related cultural arts field; or a Bachelor’s Degree and eight years of experience in the same.
• Collaborative leader, who works well in complex environments with multiple constituents, partners, and stakeholders.
• Proven leadership managing and producing performing arts series and/or festivals including industry experience and existing networks within the cultural sector.
• Experience in leading co-beneficial collaborations internally and externally.
• An enthusiastic, committed, and successful fundraiser, with the ability to nurture multiple patron relationships.
• Considerable knowledge of national trends in arts marketing, including digital media.
• Experience as the public face of an organization that has multiple objectives and a range of stakeholders.
• Expertise in University and community arts education and engagement programs.
About Opening Nights Performing Arts at Florida State University
Performing arts presenting at Florida State began in 1921 with the creation of the Florida State College for Women Artist Series. The inaugural concert of the series was by composer and bandleader John Philip Sousa, and throughout the years world-class talent flocked to campus to perform – including modern dance pioneer and choreographer Martha Graham, cello virtuoso Pablo Casals, bandleader and pianist Count Basie, and the Metropolitan Opera National Touring Company.
In 1968, Florida State President John Champion enhanced the Artist Series by creating the Florida State University Fine Arts Festival, which presented the Artist Series’ international and national talent alongside faculty and student performances, encompassing the entire month of February. The Artist Series and Fine Arts Festival continued in some capacity until the end of the 1991 Spring Semester.
After taking office as President of Florida State University in 1994, Sandy D’Alemberte reached out to former Florida State presidents and first ladies, “What was your greatest accomplishment as President?” The Champions’ answer was resoundingly the “Fine Arts Festival,” which implored President D’Alemberte to reinstate performing arts presenting on campus. Thus, the inaugural season of Seven Days of Opening Nights took place in February 1999.
Since its inaugural festival seasons, Opening Nights Performing Arts (ONPA) has evolved into an annual series of performances and events from October to April annually. ONPA presents over ninety (90) world-class performances and educational events in music, theatre, dance, film, spoken word, and the fine arts in Florida's capital city and the surrounding area.
Florida State University
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. The academic colleges in the arts; College of Music, College of Fine Arts (Theatre, Dance, Visual Art), College of Motion Picture Arts, and College of Arts and Sciences (Creative Writing); annually rank among the finest conservatory based programs in the country.
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
This position requires annual Financial Disclosure based on Florida Statutes 112.3144 and 112.3145. Additional information regarding Financial Disclosure requirements can be found on the Florida Commission of Ethics site at: http://www.ethics.state.fl.us/FinancialDisclosure/Index.aspx
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu.
If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information.
Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf