Data Entry Assistant
Data Entry Assistant
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: International House (72100)
Position Status: Administrative Non-Exempt Positions
About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, weve been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu/.
Reports To: Associate Vice-President for Finance & Assistant Treasurer
Summary of Position:
The Manager of Financial Operations supervises the operations, activities and customer service of the Finance Office and performs complex duties regarding college finance in such areas as accounting, banking, financial analysis, reporting, training and budgeting.
Essential Job Functions
- Supervise the operations and activities of the business office including accounts payable, non-student accounts receivable, cashiering and the related accounting, banking, and customer assistance; schedule and monitor work flow; provide training to new employees, including students; supervise and participate in the performance evaluation of assigned staff
- Ensure the accurate and timely management of accounts receivable aging and monthly reconciliation of subledger to G/L
- Participate in interviewing and selecting employees; recommending disciplinary action, if needed; coordinate student staffing and training issues
- Train college staff regarding expenditure policies, coding, reading budget reports, using banner finance, using Concur on-line travel booking and expense reporting system
- Analyze and maintain endowment unitization records including calculating units and endowment income adjustments associated with endowment additions and withdrawals
- Supervise cashier function on a daily basis. Balance and reconcile cash on hand in general ledger at the end of the month; track all outstanding cash/check advances and balance to the general ledger
- Oversee recording of all transactions that are made using CASHNet cashiering. Reconcile clearing accounts associated with cash entries, on-line student payments and Elavon credit card cash receipts. Record credit card fees and ensure all transactions are recorded and reconciled
- Oversee cash handling throughout campus. Train campus personnel on following cash handling policies
- Supervise, train, and guide accounts payable function on a daily basis; oversee annual 1099 reporting and filing
- Supervise the non-student accounts receivable function on a daily basis; ensure charges, payments, and reconciliations are processed on a timely basis
- Update and maintain cash flow detail spreadsheet; initiate and approve wire transfers via online banking. Work closely with College GL Accountant to ensure accurate and timely recording of all transactions
- Review and complete postings of all gift feeds processed by the Office of Institutional Advancement (OIA); work with OIA to reconcile gifts. Process the sale of gifted securities
- Oversee Travel Policy and review travel expenses; administer College travel booking program including creating profiles, assigning travel permissions, and providing college wide training and assistance
- Administer College credit card program including processing applications for cards, managing web based administration system including establishing purchasing controls and limits on cards, assigning web access to card holders and monitoring card holder compliance to college policies and procedures
- Manage relationship with office supply vendor and administer web based procurement of office supplies by other departments, including establishing controls over ordering by users
- Prepare and file college sales and use tax return; act as lead contact for State of California, Board of Equalization audits
- Assist with various financial analysis and internal reporting, including annual financial statement and A-133 audit preparation and coordination
- Initiate and process journal entries and finance entry uploads; oversee the input of and review all journal entries and budget adjustments
- Implement policies and procedures; make recommendations to improve productivity, quality and efficient delivery of services; participate in the development of policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance. Maintain safe work conditions and comply with established safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of accounting methods and procedures related to specialized accounts such as those involving cash receipts and accounts payable, including 1099 filing.
- Thorough knowledge of banking practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of electronic cash receipt and disbursement processing, including recording transactions into the GL and reconciliation.
- Knowledge of integrated financial software packages with preference for Banner, a SunGard Higher Education ERP.
- Proficiency in interpreting and translating regulatory requirements into proposed new/revised policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision and training.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of record-keeping techniques.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision-making and analytical skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and MS Access.
- Ability to supervise the operations and activities of assigned operational area and personnel.
- Ability to exhibit strong customer service orientation for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public.
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Understanding of Departmental goals and how they fit with College-wide goals.
- Proven ability to remain flexible to accommodate changing operational needs.
- Bachelors Degree in accounting, finance or related field required; may be substituted by sufficient years experience in essential job duties.
- 3+ years overseeing the operations of a business office function (preferably in a higher education, or non-profit environment), including accounts payable, cashiering and banking and supervision of others.
- The incumbent will often spend long hours sitting at and using the computer to retrieve, enter, manage, and review data.
- Multitasking, while providing customer services, is required for this position.
- Numerous interruptions can make completing tasks difficult.
- Upset or difficult customers could cause stress.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause stress.
This is a full-time exempt position. Compensation is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403(b) retirement plan, 22 days vacation, 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and the contact information for three references, and the Mills College Application Form at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=84968
Review of candidates will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Posting Date: 05/24/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Hiring Range: $13.95-$15.00
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4534
WPI, the nation's third oldest private technological university, established in 1865 by New England industrialists John Boynton and Ichabod Washburn consists of 80 acres set in a safe, residential section of Worcester, Massachusetts—the second largest city in New England—home to 13 colleges, and situated 40 miles west of Boston.