Director of External Relations
Department: Cameron School of Business
Reports to: Dean of Cameron School of Business
Location: UST Campus
The University of St. Thomas (www.stthom.edu), a private Catholic university committed to the liberal arts and to the religious and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education, is seeking an experienced Director of External Relations. The University enrolls more than 3,300 students with its main campus located in Houston, Texas. The Director of External Relations reports to the Dean of the Cameron School of Business. The Director will work closely with the dean, the school’s faculty, and administrators on a daily basis. In addition, the Director will collaborate on projects with the offices of UST Marketing Communications & Enrollment, UST Career Services, and UST Institutional Advancement. The Director will be responsible for assisting the dean to further strengthen the relationships between the Cameron School of Business, alumni, and external constituencies. The Director will work with the dean to develop an outreach strategy with the goals of increasing enrollment in our programs, managing the relationships with institutional partners, identifying opportunities for professional advancement for our students, and extending the current offerings of the Cameron School of Business. The Director will work with the dean, the faculty, and other staff of the school to implement these outreach plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The focus will be on graduate business programs. Special attention should be focused on the MCTM program.
- Implement the recruitment plan of the school by working with the dean and the school’s faculty to establish enrollment goals and a plan to achieve enrollment goals for academic programs.
- Plan and implement tactics to meet enrollment goals, such as making college recruitment visits, attending recruitment fairs, running online recruitment and information sessions, using social media to maintain contact with prospective students, hosting activities and events for students, and coordinating campus visits by prospective students.
- Identify and address ways to improve the graduate prospect’s experience and increase the yield rate.
- Develop new prospects (groups/organizations) to increase visibility of existing program offerings.
- Work with the Academic Coordinator and other staff to maintain the prospective student database in order to reach prospective students and provide information about the University and its graduate program opportunities.
- Work with the dean, department chairs, directors, and staff to assure the dissemination of and access to accurate information about the school’s programs to potential students by coordinating the design and content of program-related publications, both print and digital.
- Work on special research projects to provide information and analysis to school administrators and faculty.
Relationship management with institutional partners:
- Provide administrative program management for programs with partners (primarily HMRI, but also STCL, TWU, etc)
- Provide consultation and support for the creation of new partnerships and improvement of existing academic partnerships
- Cultivate and sustain active relationships with key personnel at partner institutions
Professional advancement of our students:
- Nurture and grow collaborations with industry to attract student internships and job offers
- Connect organizations that have available job or internship opportunities to the Cameron School of Business and UST Career Services.
Extending educational offerings of the school:
- Manage and expand the customized training programs
- Establish effective communications with business professionals to understand their needs and deliver effective proposals for program offerings (working in collaboration with the faculty)
- Identify new, high-demand education training needs for possible inclusion in our program roster
- The Director will supervise student workers assigned to assist the Director.
Qualifications and Requirements
Expectations Related to Interpersonal Competence:
- Professional demeanor
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams and to foster teamwork
- Intercultural sensitivity, emotional intelligence, and interpersonal savvy
- Ability to relate to co-workers, employees, and students, sometimes under stressful conditions
- Ability to collaborate with faculty members and staff to accomplish department goals
- Ability to build relationships and balance the multiple, varying, and even conflicting interests of diverse stakeholders
- Successful completion of a full course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a masters-level degree in business or entrepreneurship, or the equivalent combination of education, experience, and training from which comparable skills can be acquired.
- Three to five years of work experience in external relations, corporate relations, career services, student counseling, academic fundraising, or some combination of these or their equivalents.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by individuals in this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of individuals in this job classification. All job classifications may have miscellaneous job duties assigned on an as needed basis. Management, at the appropriate level, retains the right to assign and change the duties of any position at any time.
This is a full time, year round, benefit eligible position. To apply, please send a letter of interest with salary requirements and a resume to the email below. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered.
Human Resources – Ref: 1817
University of St. Thomas
Houston, TX 77006
The University of St Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer