Biology Faculty, One Year Temporary
West Shore Community College seeks innovative candidates to fill a 1-year temporary full-time Biology Faculty position for the 2017-2018 academic year. We are seeking a candidate with experience in plant biology whose primary career goal is biology education. The candidate hired for this position will be eligible for consideration for a full-time faculty position (with potential for continuing appointment and full professor rank) when it is posted in January, 2018; candidates who cannot begin until Winter 2018 or the academic year 2018-2019 are strongly encouraged to submit their materials now for consideration for the full-time position when it is posted.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Teaching load (15 credit hours a semester/30 annually) primarily consisting of courses in the following areas, as qualified: botany, general biology, local flora, life science, and possibly ecology.
- If qualified, develop and teach molecular biology labs for general biology.
- Participate in curricular planning including interacting with the community as needed.
- Masters in plant biology or a related field.
- Higher education teaching experience in Biology.
- Ability to teach using a variety of educational technologies, such as on-line teaching and blended/hybrid teaching.
- Demonstrated commitment to the comprehensive community college philosophy, including building relationships in science and related disciplines with K-12 schools and the community.
- Ph.D. in Biology.
- Demonstrated success in teaching/developing on-line or blended/hybrid courses.
- Community College teaching experience.
- Proven ability to work with and teach students from diverse backgrounds.
Salary range: commensurate with qualifications/experience. Salary is accompanied by a complete benefit package.
West Shore Community College is a small, rural institution located in a beautiful “four-season” recreational area near the shore of Lake Michigan and serves a multi-county district. The College is uniquely positioned with beautiful facilities; up-to-date technology; and no debt. West Shore Community College offers a comprehensive general education curriculum designed to meet the needs of students seeking certification, employment, and/or transfer to senior institutions. WSCC offers a student centered and team-based atmosphere with a staff dedicated to excellence in serving students’ learning needs. Collegial and interdisciplinary relationships are expected of all WSCC employees. Visit our website at http://www.westshore.edu for more information.
Application requirements: For best consideration submit the following materials by Wednesday, June 21, 2017, to our online portal at https://my.westshore.edu/ICS/Employment/. Initial screening will begin after June 21 and continue until the position is filled:
- West Shore Community College application
- Letter of application specifically addressing the areas of responsibility and qualifications (above)
- Unofficial transcripts (official will be necessary if interview is offered)
West Shore Community College is a drug-free employer and the final offer will be contingent on drug testing.
West Shore Community College is an equal opportunity employer.