Communications Specialist II
University of Delaware
Job Title Communications Specialist II
Job ID 104453
Location Newark, DE
Communications Specialist II
Pay Grade: 30E
Deadline: Position will be open until filled; application review will begin immediately
The University of Delaware Energy Institute (UDEI) is a campus-wide institute with several affiliated centers. The overall mission of the UDEI is to marshal and expand the University's science, engineering and public policy expertise in new and emerging energy technologies.
Under limited direction of the Deputy Director, the Communications Specialist is responsible for all public relations activities of the program and will develop and execute a broad communications strategy delivered through multiple media, to advance the UDEI objective and its affiliated centers of building a cohesive stakeholders network encompassing research, its application to real-world problems, and education. The Communications Specialist is responsible for print and digital design, typography, illustration, brand implementation and web design for UDEI and its research centers.
• Conceptualize, design, and create a wide range of visual media for UDEI and its research centers. Provide graphic design within predetermined formats and guidelines. Design high-level marketing communications materials for print, digital formats, brand implementation and web design. Make design recommendations during conceptual stage for projects. Ensure compliance with university brand standards and partner guidelines. Design logos/marks for a variety of research/training programs and recruiting efforts in keeping with the University's branding specifications. Attend relevant UD Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM) meetings to insure that units coordinate efforts with OCM efficiently and effectively and comply with University standards. Liaison with University Printing or other vendors. Maintains digital archive of each production file. Apply web design principles and techniques to the creation and enhancement of integrated, complex web sites. Evaluate existing and emerging social media trends and tools in the context of UDEI's strategic goals for various target audiences. Collaborate with Information Technologies group on website maintenance.
• Recruit, hire, train and directly supervise student work force for multimedia efforts, i.e. work study and miscellaneous wage students.
• Develop unique, cross-platform content strategies for various digital assets, including but not limited to social media and websites.
• Manage text and art-work for submission of grant applications to federal agencies, foundations and other sponsors.
• Supervise contract employees including web designers, graphic artists, photographers and videographers as required for print and electronic media. Develop polished materials that convey key scientific or other concepts. Supervise graduate or undergraduate students involved in communications internships and special marketing and communications projects.
• Organize and participate in press conferences and specialized outreach events for a range of audiences, including high-level participants, the general public, students or educators.
• Research and write special analyses for publication and to inform internal and external decision-making. Prepare briefings for congressional delegations, state legislators, agency representatives, advisory panels, faculty and other educators and the general public.
• Plan, research and write content for a variety of cost-effective print and electronic materials, including websites, reports, brochures, and research grants. Manage production and quality control.
• Direct science communications projects funded through state, federal and foundation sources. Communicate both sponsor mission and program-specific objectives. Present the product at regional and national meetings.
• Direct group projects involving faculty, professional and student input. Establish guidelines, procedures and timelines. Review, edit and revise text provided by others to assure smooth and consistent style and technical level in the final product. Interview faculty and other specialists for feature articles and multimedia presentations. Convene formal and informal focus groups to invite input and evaluate the effectiveness of approaches.
• Write press releases and white papers and serve as program spokesperson. Prepare scientific highlights for dissemination in national media. Develop working relationships and collaborations with University Marketing and Communications, federal agency press offices, and external press, including multimedia, broadcast media and daily, weekly, monthly print publications.
• Perform other miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience, or equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Master's degree preferred.
• Exceptional creativity and a strong sense of aesthetic design. Ability to think conceptually and articulate ideas well, develop ideas on a given topic or situation, and develop creative ways to solve a problem.
• A very strong understanding of multimedia products, publications, web pages, social media, and other methods to translate complex research and academic programs in the engineering disciplines using various communication tools (e.g., print, multimedia, web).
• Content management systems (WordPress) and website development experience preferred.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, as well as good Internet research skills.
• Expertise in graphic design software and desktop publishing software, including Adobe Creative Suite software and Google applications. Working experience with both Windows and Mac computer systems and proficiency in MS Office software (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
• Experience with public relations, developing multimedia content and managing budgets.
• Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to present scientific research for lay audiences. Ability to develop and present educational programs and/or workshops
• Ability to perform editorial research.
• Ability to provide technical advice and information to faculty and staff, to plan and implement promotional programs, and to develop presentations.
• Ability to work effectively with a range of scientific and creative professional colleagues, including senior faculty, scientific and technical professionals, students, photographers, art directors, videographers and graphic designers.
• Ability to use independent judgment to gather, manage and impart information to various internal and external audiences. Must be self-driven, demonstrate teamwork and collaboration skills.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide- range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously, while managing competing priorities.
• Experience in photography, video production, and social media a plus.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html