Director, Delaware Innovation Space, Inc. (DISI)
University of Delaware
Job Title Director, Delaware Innovation Space, Inc. (DISI)
Job ID 104654
Location Newark, DE
Pay Grade: 35E
Deadline: Open until Filled
Context of Job:
The Delaware Innovation Space, Inc. (DISI) is a new non-profit organization established separately from the University of Delaware (UD) but resourced with talent hired into the University of Delaware and DuPont. The Delaware Innovation Space is supported financially and with in-kind resources provided by DuPont, the State of Delaware, and UD along with other sponsoring organizations. The Delaware Innovation Space will create a new hub for technology and business incubation support at the Experimental Station in Alapocas with a hyper-focus on generating new science & technology based ventures. The DISI business incubator model will extend beyond multi-use laboratory space - to offer a blend of infrastructure and growth support allowing the sciences-based early stage ventures to preserve precious capital and focus on value creation through delivering on technical and business milestones. In addition, DISI will provide a platform and vehicle for advancing science through R&D grant contract work fueled by the passion of scientists in the local ecosystem including connections with the University of Delaware.
The Program, Marketing, & Partnership (PM&P) Leader - Delaware Innovation Space oversees the cultivation of new business and clients for the Delaware Innovation Space as well as being the key leader for programmatic and marketing programs for the enterprise. The PM&P leader will be seconded from the University of Delaware to DISI and be on the leadership team of the Delaware Innovation Space and will receive day to day and overall strategic guidance from the CEO/President of DISI as part of that organization as well as administratively from the Vice President for Research, Scholarship & Innovation for UD specific matters.
- Provide leadership and be responsible for all aspects of the business development/client development process for the Delaware Innovation Space.
- Provide leadership and be responsible for all aspects of the program offering of the Delaware Innovation Space including business building training, technical seminars, and community building programs.
- Provide leadership and be responsible for the brand development, marketing, and external presence of the Delaware Innovation Space.
- Represent Delaware Innovation Space in public forums and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO of the Delaware Innovation Space.
- Bachelor's degree in a science and engineering or related field and at least eight years of relevant experience in business development, marketing, program development & execution, or equivalent combination of education and experience. MBA or other higher education experience preferred.
- Strong passion and drive for being part of an entrepreneurial community and new venture.
- Ability to be highly flexible in scope of their role and tactics associated with the role.A strong player/coach.A person who is willing to get the job done with strong focus on core values such as safety, valuing people, strong ethics, respect for the environment, and a value and drive for a diverse workplace.
- Evidence of leadership in areas including cultivation of new business and clients, program leadership and development, and marketing initiatives.
- Strong level of leadership and networking skills in building a new business.
- Commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce and work environment.
- Knowledge of a range of recruitment strategies and techniques.
- Ability to effectively represent the Delaware Innovation Space within the research and business community across the United States and potentially overseas.
- Knowledge of the University of Delaware, DuPont, and experience with the broader entrepreneurial landscape across the United States.
- Ability to plan and evaluate programs. Program planning and implementation skills.
Ability to develop financial plans and manage resources.
- Strong strategic planning skills with ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to conceive, develop and deliver presentations and training sessions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html