ASSOC DIR, STUDENT AFFAIRS
ASSOC DIR, STUDENT AFFAIRS
Jewish Life @ Duke
Scope of Responsibilities
The Associate Director for Programs and Leadership provides vision and leadership for the Jewish Life at Duke student program. The associate director works with the campus rabbi and supervises other members of the program team to design and implement a comprehensive student program. S/he works directly with student leaders and student interns and is responsible for student leadership development, student group advising, student engagement strategy and alternative break experiences. S/he is responsible for all aspects of the student program and for overseeing all assessment in regards to these efforts. The individual is expected to promote Jewish life at Duke and to work collaboratively with key stakeholders and partners within the Duke University, Hillel and local communities. As an essential member of the Jewish Life at Duke team, the associate director reports to the Director for Jewish Life at Duke.
1. Design a comprehensive approach to student programs and initiatives for Jewish Life at Duke through strategic planning, regular one-on-one staff meetings and weekly program meetings. Coordinate the full range of staff and student initiated programs to provide a coordinated and balanced range of programs and initiatives consistent with Jewish Life at Duke's vision. Oversee each of these programs including program development, purchasing, staffing and marketing. 25%
2. Develop and grow an overall student engagement strategy for all staff with direct student contact to include engagement goals and tracking efforts. Design a peer-engagement student internship model that encompasses Jewish content and best practices in peer-engagement. Provide direction and leadership for members of the program team in regards to these efforts. 25%
3. Develop a uniquely Jewish approach to student leadership for students involved in Jewish Life at Duke affiliated student groups as well as those interested in exploring leadership through a Jewish lens. These efforts may include intensive leadership retreats, ongoing leadership development programs as well as infusing leadership into pre-existing student groups and programs. 15%
4. Assess all aspects of the student program to include financial expenditures, student engagement and specific goals and outcomes of individual programs and initiatives. Train and advise program staff in assessment tools. Assure compliance with assessment efforts of the Division of Student Affairs and Hillel International. Prepare reports and proposals as well as provide recommendations for grant applications, strategic planning and Hillel's measuring excellence program. 15%
5. Advise student leaders and student groups including Jewish Student Union in planning, marketing, budgeting and assessing programs and events. Help students identify opportunities to infuse Jewish content into programs and events and direct them to available resources. Provide training and leadership for all program staff who advise undergraduate and graduate student groups affiliated with Jewish Life at Duke. 15%
6. Serve as resource for other members of JLD staff as to best practices regarding student programming, leadership development, assessment and how to utilize various systems on campus related to program planning. Attend and represent Jewish Life at Duke at appropriate department, division, university and Hillel meetings, committees and programs. 5%
• Education: Master's degree required with preference for degree in higher education, Jewish education or related field
• Experience: Work generally requires 4 years of experience in program development, student leadership development, Jewish programming or related field. Prior experience with supervision is strongly recommended. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Job-Specific Skills and Competencies
• Position requires moderate knowledge and understanding of Jewish culture, observance and history. Act as a Jewish and professional role model for students.
• Experience with student advising, student leadership development and program assessment.
• Strong interpersonal, communication and organization skills.
• Proven ability to work as part of a team in a collaborate work environment.
• Excellent time and project management skills with strong attention to detail. Understanding of technology tools and competence with social media.
2338 ASSOC DIR, STUDENT AFFAIRS
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires analytical, organizational and communication skillsgenerally acquired through completion of a master's degree program.
Work generally requires four years experience in personnel, college oruniversity administration, or a related field to acquire skillsnecessary to provide program management, advising and generaladministrative support.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.