CUNY Start/Math Start Program Support Specialist (Multiple Positions)
Queensborough Community College is seeking an Academic Student Support Program Specialist for CUNY Start / Math Start. This position requires some evening hours.
One of the College's greatest strengths, and a necessary element of excellence, is the diversity of our community. We are committed to equal opportunity and affirmative action, and strive to attract and nurture a talented and diverse faculty and staff that proudly reflect the unique character of the local Queens community, the most diverse county in the United States.
CUNY Start is an intensive program for incoming college students, both high school and HSE graduates, who need to increase their academic proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics prior to enrollment in college credit classes. The CUNY Office of Academic Affairs, the University's community colleges, including Queensborough Community College, and Medgar Evers College, and the College of Staten Island work collaboratively to provide students with an innovative approach to developmental education. CUNY Start is recognized for its carefully designed curriculum and pedagogy, ongoing professional development and supportive approach to student development.
CUNY Start has proven to be highly effective at reducing and/or eliminating students' remedial needs within one semester because of the attention given to each component of the program - advisement, mathematics and reading/writing. Math Start, based on the CUNY Start math curriculum and advisement model, is an intensive 8-week program for incoming CUNY students who want to increase their math proficiency before starting credit-bearing classes.
The CUNY Start Program Support Specialist conducts comprehensive individual and group student orientations, information sessions and interviews, academic advising, performance feedback sessions and conferences, skills development seminars, workshops, recruitment/outreach, new student orientation and other activities to enable successful program enrollment, completion, college transition and matriculation. Reporting to the campus CUNY Start Assistant Director, the Program Support Specialist may work with a set group of students to cultivate and oversee their educational and advisement plans. Other duties will include but not be limited to the following:
- Provide academic and college success advice; general guidance, coaching, mentoring and career exploration support;
- Monitor, evaluate, document and report on students' academic participation and progress, ensure compliance with guidelines, and manage records and files;
- Advocate for students, intervene with appropriate program support services and referrals to faculty, campus learning resources and/or University student development services;
- Deliver program curricula and create training manuals and educational support materials;
- Coordinate regular team meetings with faculty, academic and administrative staff, and actively participate in campus and University meetings and training activities;
- Participate in executing the program's daily operations and logistics;
- Analyze program data, assist with evaluating goals, and develop measurement criteria to perform student learning outcomes assessments and create utilization reports;
- May supervise and train full/part-time professional, academic and/or office support staff.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
Successful candidates will have the following professional and business core competencies:
- Demonstrated experience in academic advising, career advising and/or student development with diverse student populations, particularly underprepared high school or college students in an educational setting or college prep program;
- Facilitation experience in adult or developmental education using a holistic and strengths-based approach to student development;
- Knowledge of learning strategies, accommodations and accessibility services;
- Strong presentation, verbal and interpersonal communication skills to successfully work with and present to diverse learners and audiences;
- Experience working with linguistically, culturally and academically diverse students;
- Strong work ethic, character and personal integrity, and ability to work with the utmost professionalism, discretion and confidentiality;
- Detail oriented with strong organizational, writing, proofreading and editing skills with solid analytical, evaluative and research skills;
- Ability to work well in a time-sensitive, dynamic, student centered and responsive office;
- Experience working in collaborative settings;
- Computer proficiency using standard office software programs/applications.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides educational development activities supporting a targeted academic program.
- Assists in developing and preparing program offerings, curricula, guidelines, and related communications
- Promotes program and advises students and College stakeholders on services, policies, and procedures
- Advises faculty, counselors, tutors, administrators and others on program goals, activities, and best practices
- Provides student services such as workshops, seminars, and advising sessions
- Coordinates efforts of faculty, staff, and other service providers to monitor and assess utilization, student progress, and program effectiveness
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must provide a resume and cover letter in order to be considered.
June 24, 2017. Review of resumes to begin June 6 , 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Queensborough CC
Job Title: CUNY Start/Math Start Program Support Specialist (Multiple Positions)
Job ID: 16857
Full/Part Time: Full-Time