Early College Liaison (Academic Program Specialist) - HERO High School
The Early College Liaison serves as an intermediary between Hostos Community College and HERO High School, with the mission of strengthening student performance and expanding students' horizons to include postsecondary educational opportunities and career goals. Through this partnership, the students are able to earn college credits toward their associate degree while earning a high school diploma. As part of this educational experience, the liaison works with the college faculty and staff to develop non-credit bearing programs and events to support this goal. Working together with the college and school personnel, the liaison seeks to maintain and develop collaborations that serve to better prepare students for college and careers while fostering mutual learning among the faculty, staff, and students at the partnering institutions. The liaison is instrumental in facilitating students' progress and success by ensuring that appropriate collaborative support mechanisms are in place, so it is highly recommended that this person have experience working with both high school students and adults (i.e. professors, teachers, parents and school leadership). The ability to develop strong working relationships needs to be combined with strong organizational skills around the various administrative responsibilities.
Reporting to the Director of School-College Partnerships, the successful candidate will perform the following duties in addition to those in the overview:
- Serves as a liaison between Hostos Community College and HERO High School in all areas of communication and logistics.
- Monitors student progress in pre-college and college classes, including ongoing communication with students, school leaders, professors, and high school instructors.
- Coordinates student academic support services for students in college courses including tutoring.
- Convenes and participates in regular planning meetings with college and school staff that focuses primarily on the ongoing development of the scope and sequence of the school, the development of early college partnership activities and curriculum development.
- Manages the admissions and enrollment processes for college courses; communicates with professors and high school instructors to monitor progress.
- Assists the school in monitoring and evaluating program data, as well as data from the city and state examinations, to assess student progress and to make recommendations to improve student achievement in order to fulfill the early college mission.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' relevant experience required.
The following qualifications are preferred:
- Master's degree in education, public affairs, or related field and/or state teacher certification
- Knowledge of the New York City Department of Education
- Four (4) years of relevant administrative experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills, and strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated mastery of relevant technological capacities (e.g. Microsoft Office suite)
- Ability to master college tech systems
- Availability to work evening and weekend hours
- Bilingual skills in English and Spanish
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Participates in the daily coordination of academic and administrative activities of a College's specialized academic program under management direction.
- Supports program development, student service delivery, outcome evaluation and instructor/student recruitment, enrollment, and retention.
- Recommends, implements and evaluates strategies to expand program offerings
- Prepares analytical and statistical reports for management
- Develops and maintains relationships with various College offices to improve student and faculty services
- Serves as resource expert regarding program policies and procedures
- Oversees office recordkeeping; manages updates of program web and print materials
- May supervise office operations and/or department budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Program Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$47,340 - $58,555; commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigate to the following links: Employment" and "Search Job Postings."
Please attach resume, cover letter and the professional references.
June 21, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hostos Community College
Job Title: Early College Liaison (Academic Program Specialist) - HERO High School
Job ID: 16768
Full/Part Time: Full-Time