Dispatcher/Security Officer (Multiple Positions)
Posting Date May 25, 2017
Position Title Dispatcher/Security Officer (Multiple Positions)
Vacancy # VC-373
Department University Police
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Under direction of a Sergeant or Patrol Officer at Montclair State University Police Department, during an assigned tour of duty, provides assistance and protection to persons and property in and about state owned and leased buildings, office grounds, and parking areas; maintains orderly conditions, and takes the measures required to assure observance of law; does related work as required.
- Gives assistance when accidents or illness occur in emergencies; summons physicians, the fire department, and/or police as may be required.
- Directs callers to the reception desk or to other locations, and provides desired information to callers in accordance with established procedures.
- Notes and reports conditions which constitute dangers and hazards, and takes the actions necessary to assure orderly and safe conditions; sees that established safety regulations are observed.
- Takes appropriate actions as to suspicious persons and conditions, and reports significant actions, occurrences, and conditions.
- Refers/ dispatches officers to complaints involving misconduct, suspicious behavior, illegal activities, and other matters within the province of police operations and prepares reports thereon.
- Obtains, records, and properly uses needed equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Prepares simple but clear, accurate, informative, and legible reports.
- Keeps simple records.
- May be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Knowledge of the difficulties encountered in following closely prescribed procedures of the type embodied in police rules and regulations.
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out oral and written directions.
- Ability to learn quickly from oral and written explanations and from demonstrations.
- Ability to deal courteously but effectively with varied types of persons, individually and in groups, in varied situations.
- Ability to remain cool and decisive in emergency situations.
- Ability to perform repetitive operations including the answering of inquiries without loss of equanimity, patience, or courtesy.
- Ability to work harmoniously with associates, superior officers, and individuals of varied types, ages, and social and economic status.
- Ability to conform to official and unofficial requirements as to dress, conduct, and behavior.
- Ability to write simple factual reports accurately and legibly.
- Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Qualifications & Requirements
Graduation from high school or vocational school or possession of an approved high school equivalent certificate.
Exemplary employment record
A valid NJ Driver's License
Satisfactory completion of a probationary period determined by the Department of Personnel.
Flexibility to work all shifts, overtime and holiday assignments
Ability to read, write, understand, and communicate in English to carry out duties
Ability to learn, comprehend, and be certified in various equipment (electronic or manual) used by the agency.
Not less than l8 years of age at the announced closing date for filing applications for this examination.
Preferred Qualifications: NJ Police Training Certification for Basic Police or Special Law Enforcement Officer II; certification in Emergency Telecommunications and or police/dispatch experience.
Salary Range: I13: $35,760.78-$50,086.89
NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to step 4: $40,536.15
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION