Export Control Manager
Scope of Job
Oversee and manage Export Control Compliance Program including development and implementation of policies, procedures, training programs and materials.
Description of Duties
• Oversees and manages the UTRGV Export Control Compliance Program including development and implementation of policies and procedures.
• Assists the division leadership in identifying and resolving any potential threats to national security.
• Ensures research compliance with applicable export control laws and regulations and technology restrictions.
• Serves as subject matter expert and the designated “Empowered Official”and resource for University researchers and administrators.
• Interfaces with federal compliance enforcement officers when necessary.
• Conducts restricted party screening for various documents to identify denied and restricted parties.
• Interfaces with all related administrative departments and research staff and to maintain research export control compliance for UTRGV. Provides both computer-based and classroom training.
• Regularly responds to research requests for information and to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies, and procedures by assessing the possible violation.
• Recommends initiation of investigative procedures as necessary.
• Administer any corrective measures mandated by regulatory authorities.
• Provides guidance and strategic consultation for Export Control research policy development to university administrators, faculty and students.
• Reviews proposals, contracts, and other University agreements as needed for export control compliance.
• Applies for and administers license applications to the U.S. Department of State, Department of Commerce, U.S. Treasury Office of Foreign Asset Control, Department of Energy or other applicable state or federal authority.
• Develops, implements, and monitors Technology Control Plans as needed.
• Maintains databases and generates reports as requested and/or required. Manages specific research compliance area web pages by ensuring all links are properly functioning and providing updated information to IT staff in a timely manner.
• Responsible for research data security program at UTRGV and dual use regulations and procedures.
• Maintains membership/participation in relevant external organizations (e.g., (NCURA, FDP, AUECO, etc.).
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Specific supervision of assigned staff.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University.
Master’s Degree from an accredited University.
• Six (6) years of experience in the area of research administration, compliance, auditing, or law, or performing related duties, or
• Four (4) years of the required experience with a Master’s Degree from an accredited University.
More than the required experience in the required duties. Experience in higher education environment in research compliance.
Use of standard office equipment, especially Microsoft suite programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook or equivalent email system. Experience with software related to Patent Analytics, Visual Compliance, and Export Compliance Professional (ECOP) Accreditation.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
The person selected for this position must be a U.S. person as defined by ITAR Sec. 120.25, a U.S. citizen, or a Legal Permanent Resident. Demonstrated experience in identifying, prioritizing, and implementing projects. Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated experience working effectively with personnel, government and members of the research community at large. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated experience with research integrity and compliance programs, including a deep knowledge of federal regulations. Understanding of how federal funding agencies work. Demonstrated ability working with a diverse population within a compliance setting. Experience in developing and conducting training in compliance and integrity. Familiarity with International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Excellent communication and problem solving skills, the ability and flexibility to work with a wide variety of customers and issues, and work successfully in both a team-integrated and an independent fashion; must be able to obtain and maintain US Government Security Clearance.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.