Executive Director, Southwest MS Center for Culture & Learning
Master’s degree in assigned field of expertise; and 5 years of related experience.
Purpose of Job
Reporting to the Provost & Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs , the Executive Director for Alcorn’s Southwest Mississippi Center for Culture & Learning will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for said Center, as well as leadership responsibility for its staff, programs, expansion, and strategic mission execution. Will have overall strategic responsibility for the Southwest Mississippi Center for Culture & Learning, but not limited to program development, community outreach and engagement, advertising and branding, as well as fundraising. Responsible for accentuation and promoting the unique culture and defining characteristics of Southwest Mississippi.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation program evaluation, and consistent quality of financial affairs, administration, fundraising activities, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize the Center’s volunteers, board members and event committees as well as partnering organizations and funders; also welcome and engage Alcorn State University faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community constituents.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Advisory Board and Committee structure; serve as ex-officio of each committee, seek and build significant Advisory Board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations as well as for national and international outreach.
- Ensure effective systems to track regularly and evaluate program components so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the Advisory Board and stakeholders.
*Establish relationships with regional, state, and local art & culture entities for the purpose of leveraging synergies that yield mutuality of cost savings and diverse the Center’s revenue streams.
- Ensure ongoing program excellence that highlights Southwest Mississippi culture and the cultivation and development of the growing audience of supports, visitors, and consumers.
- Generate proposals for external funding and expand local revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and enlarge regional outreach.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communication especially in the area of Web presence, social media, and external relations with local communities.
- Setup and oversee ongoing public relations efforts to advertise the Center’s programs and activities with an emphasis on publicizing the positive experiences of participants.
Essential Job Functions
- Assure that the Center has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
*Implement a strategic plan for growth, funding expansion, and Center development while working in close collaboration with all stakeholders.
- Responsible for the Center’s consistent achievement of its mission and budgetary, fundraising, and financial objectives.
*Identify appropriate external resources to build capacity in the creation and sustaining the Center.
- Provide leadership in developing programs, organizational and financial plans with the Advisory Board and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Provost.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers, supporters, and contributors in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with University, federal, state, and local regulations.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- Responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
Licensing and Certifications
Relevant licenses and certifications are a plus.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Detail oriented
- Ability to prioritize assignments
- Knowledge of BANNER processes and scripts
- Ability to work independently
- Program management/directorship experience
- Ability to work cooperatively with a team environment
- Ability to build consensus among various and varied entities, organizations,group leaders, volunteers, etc.
- Knowledge of relevant higher education laws (e.g., FERPA, Title IX, Clergy Act, etc.