Research and Instruction Librarian
Scope of Job
Responsible for providing research assistance and library instruction to students, faculty, and other library users, with particular emphasis placed on the use of electronic resources and educational technology.
Description of Duties
• Provides research assistance at library service points, online, and in individual consultation sessions.
• Provides classroom instruction, tours, and workshops on the use of electronic resources and library research tools.
• Participates in and maintains social networking for the library.
• Develops online and print subject guides (e.g. LibGuides).
• Develops the library collection, acting as liaison for assigned academic departments within the university. Recommends the purchase of print and electronic materials necessary to support the academic programs of UTRGV. Assists in evaluation of the library collection.
• Participates in embedded librarian services in collaboration with the Center for Online Learning and Teaching Technology (COLTT).
• Maintains knowledge of library trends and best practices in academic libraries, including reference/research materials, instruction methodologies, educational technologies, and principles of information literacy.
• Works cooperatively with other library departments and supervisors on all UTRGV campuses.
• Serves on library committees and standing university committees as required.
• Participates in continuing education and professional development opportunities (e.g. conferences, workshops, webinars, etc.) as needed to maintain required skills.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
May supervise assigned staff.
Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited library school.
Additional Master’s degree or PhD.
Three (3) years of experience working in an academic library, preferably in a research or instructional role.
Experience in providing instruction and research assistance at the graduate level.
Use of standard office equipment. Knowledge of technology and electronic resources used in academic libraries.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Successful organization, communication and interpersonal skills; detail oriented; strong service orientation and commitment to profession.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.