Librarian, Technical Services
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Librarian, Technical Services
Posting #: 16-195
Campus: Foothill College
Number of Working Months: 11 Months
Starting Salary: $62,772.00 - $103,094.00 annually
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Full-Time
Initial Review Date: 7/3/17*
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Librarian, Technical Services, Foothill College
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Under the direction of the Dean of Language Arts and the Library, provide leadership for the library with respect to bibliographic and cataloging trends. Collaborate with staff in technical services, including acquisitions, cataloging, interlibrary loan, and materials processing of books, periodicals, non-print media, software, and other materials. Monitor work flow in the technical services area and ensure the quality and accuracy of the database and materials processing. Oversee and develop cataloging processes and procedures and provide original cataloging as necessary for print and non-print materials in accordance with national cataloging standards and practices. Coordinate database authority control. Work with the Collection Development Librarian to coordinate the acquisition and discarding of all print materials. Prepare for migration of the bibliographic database from SirsiDynix to another system.
Standard duties of all librarians include providing reference services and library instruction, serving as a liaison to one or more academic divisions, selecting library materials, and participating in division and department meetings. Additionally, the job provides opportunities for professional growth and service to the college and the District. The job may require evening shifts and/or shifts at our satellite campus in Sunnyvale.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Master's in library science, or library and information science OR the equivalent.
NOTE: Official Transcripts verifying qualifications will be REQUIRED prior to an offer of employment. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts.
- Services experience, including cataloging and working with technical services staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of cataloging, subject analysis, classification, authority control, and bibliographic maintenance and ability to apply those principles according to nationally recognized standards, including LC Classification, LCSH, MARC21, and RDA.
- Experience using a bibliographic utility, preferably OCLC, and an integrated library system, preferably SirsiDynix and/or Ex Libris Alma
- Proficiency in database management, including authority control.
- Knowledge of and experience with emerging trends in and technologies in technical services, including current metadata schemes and evolving standards.
- Experience in providing leadership and support to technical services staff during the implementation of a new library system, including data cleanup and migration, establishment of new workflows and training of staff on the new platform.
- Strong reference skills suitable to the community college setting.
- Experience in information competency instruction.
- Evidence of both professional initiative and decision-making experience in a highly collaborative environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to the mission of the community college and its philosophy of education.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A cover letter (no more than one page) qualifications/skills/abilities, which support your candidacy.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $62,772.00 - $103,094.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 11-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2017
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/