Archivist Clerical Assistant
Bachelor’s Degree in any related discipline required.
Purpose of Job
The principal purpose of the job is to assist the Archivist with clerical activities; including but not limited to, collecting, processing, preserving and making available for use to the public documents and similar materials created through the work of Alcorn State University and significant individuals from the past.
Scope of Responsibilities
The Archivist Clerical Assistant will be responsible for preserving print materials relative to the historical development of Alcorn State University; maintaining the Archives and Black Collections.
Essential Job Functions
• Maintain an orderly archive and special collections.
• Serve as a support personnel for answering Archives and Special Collections reference requests.
• Coordinate and assist in collection specific activities and functions (e.g. lectures, displays, conferences, meetings, etc.).
• Coordinate, assessing, arranging, describing and processing collections as assigned by the Archivist, according to local and professional standards.
• Monitor service points areas (computer lab, circulation and media center), as needed.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
The Archivist Assistant must:
• Have excellent typing, organizational, and leadership skills.
• Be able to work independently.
• Have the ability to type 55 words per minute.
• Have knowledge of filing and record keeping.
• Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Be familiar with standard office equipment and procedures.
• Have experience/training in Word processing and data entry.