Assistant Director of Sports Information
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of one to three years of experience in a sports information environment is required. General journalism experience preferred.
Purpose of Job
“This position will assist the Director of Sports Information in efforts to adhere to Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) policies and procedures as it relates to athletics publications, game day management, statistics and media relations.”
Scope of Responsibilities
The Assistant Director of Sports Information is responsible for assisting the Director of Sports Information in all aspects of electronic media production and sports information relating to the college’s intercollegiate sports: football, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross-country, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, men and women’s tennis, baseball, softball, men’s and women’s track and field, and volleyball. The Assistant Director of Sports Information is required to abide by the rules and regulations established by Alcorn State University, the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC), and NCAA. ASU is a member of the NCAA at the Division I level.
Essential Job Functions
• Assist in the coordination and production of media guides, brochures, game notes, game programs, schedule posters, pockets schedules and other publicity materials. Research athletic information and data to help produce better records for each particular sport.
• Assist with the coordination of the collection and reporting of statistical performance data for all sports to the SWAC and NCAA offices.
• Assist in setting up media interviews with student-athletes, coaches and administrators. Serve as a liaison with the media for student-athletes and coaches.
• Prepare news releases and feature stories for newspapers, website, newsletters, wire services, radio and television stations.
• Assist in the operation and management of the football press box and basketball press row for all hosted athletic events.
• Assist in the day-to-day oversight and supervision of the sports information office. Keep informed of modern trends, techniques and strategies by attending and taking part in clinics and workshops as well as continued training on NCAA rules and regulations. Adhere to and monitor all NCAA and Conference rules and regulations. Also report any violations to any NCAA rules and regulations that arise to the proper officials. Must ascertain that the program is administered and conducted in compliance with the policies and procedures established by the Southwestern Athletic Conference, National Collegiate Athletic Association and Alcorn State University. Must ensure total compliance with guidelines of the NCAA, SWAC and University rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Help to coordinate and publish seasonal sports schedules and postcards.
• Involvement in special projects as assigned.
• Represents ASU within the Southwestern Athletic Conference and NCAA.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics or Director of Sports Information.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Computer skills including; Desktop Publishing, Internet website maintenance and Statcrew/The Automated Scorebook statistical software packages are strongly preferred.
• Experience in management and promotion of regional and national tournaments is helpful.
• A strong commitment to the Student-Athlete concept and a working knowledge of the NCAA rules and regulations are required