Laboratory Manager, Institute of Health Research (Part-time)
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The School of Nursing (SON) is seeking a Laboratory Manager for the Institute of Health Research (IHR).
Under the direction of the IHR Project Manager, the Laboratory Manager will oversee and direct operations for a small salivary and urine biochemical diagnostic laboratory. Work effectively with faculty, students, and other staff to ensure optimal operations and enforce safety practices and protocols. Define and implement equipment selection, purchase, installment, maintenance, and improvement. Provide consultation to faculty and graduate students on experimental research programs and proper equipment utilization. Supplement knowledge with selected or assigned related laboratory management development activities.
- Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent training and certifications in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) biohazard levels 1-3 salivary and urinary research laboratory safety guidance.
- Bachelor of Science degree in science or equivalent training in conducting salivary and urinary clinical diagnostic protocols.
- Minimum of one year of full-time or two years of part-time related experience with progressively increasing responsibility.
- Knowledge and experience using certified biosafety cabinet, vacuum trap, HEPA filtered vacuum line, centrifuges with sealed rotors or safety cups laboratory biosafety level 2 + equipment.
- Following general safety protocols to comply with requirements stated in the sections of Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, 5th Edition and United States Department of Labor and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) laboratory safety guidance
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Oversee daily operations of the laboratory. Perform all procedures necessary to maintain a safe, uninterrupted work environment.
- Ensure that all laboratory equipment is maintained properly. Create and maintain online and hard copy laboratory and appliance temperature and functioning logs. Provide coordination with internal university or external contractors in equipment maintenance and development of new experimental systems including working with the SON budget manager to ensure timely equipment maintenance procedures.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of all laboratory equipment and supplies; order/review and approve purchase of established amounts of equipment and to ensure smooth operations. Actively communicate with vendors.
- Provide training for all staff, students and faculty on proper usage of laboratory equipment and safe laboratory practices including safe handling and disposal of biohazardous materials, and standard policies and protocols for reporting unusual events.
- Work with the university safety coordinator to enforce all Azusa Pacific University safety practices for faculty and students in research laboratories.
- Coordinate IHR laboratory document production and retention related to regulatory compliance, composing correspondence to relevant regulatory and funding agencies.
- Coordinate and schedule all laboratory work to accommodate IHR faculty studies and to ensure no more than the allotted number of laboratory occupants at any given time.
- Provide instrumental support to IHR faculty in writing proposals that include laboratory equipment acquisition. Oversee personnel and equipment in support of laboratory analytical work.
- Work with supervisor and/or faculty in development of new experiments and procedures and provide validation of equipment operations.
- Keep abreast and inform project manager of recent developments in equipment used for IHR related research and educational purposes including short and long-term purchase plans.
- Assist faculty in providing support and guidance to graduate students on development of experimental systems used for research purposes as needed.
- Provide monthly laboratory operations report to research project manager.
- Assist project manager in monthly and annual invoice and credit card reconciliation for laboratory related expenses reimbursements. Oversee and coordinate lab tours and visits.
- Proficient in both Google Apps (Docs, Sheets, Drive, Gmail, Calendar, etc.) and Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of statistical and laboratory systems
- Prefer experience with APU programs: SPSS, PeopleSoft, 25Live, GoToMeeting, iModules, Adobe Acrobat, HelloSign, etc.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.