College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Instructor/Lecturer - School of Integrative Biology (F1700056
School of Integrative Biology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The School of Integrative Biology (SIB) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is searching for an Instructor/Lecturer to teach in the 100 level SIB courses, direct the SIB component of the Merit Workshop for Emerging Scholars, coordinate undergraduate laboratories, and develop and implement a program for Graduate Teaching Assistants on pedagogy.
- Provide instruction in 100 level courses, both face-to-face and online
- Provide leadership in implementation of the SIB Merit program
- Develop and teach curricular materials for Merit courses
- Select, train, and mentor Merit Teaching Assistants
- Coordinate the Merit recruiting effort, including the summer registration program
- Coordinate with other Merit personnel in Chemistry, Math, and MCB in writing NSF grants, assessment of the program, and delivery of talks at national meetings
- A Master's Degree in Biology, Life Sciences or a related field for candidates seeking Instructor status
- A PhD degree in Biology, Life Sciences, or a related field for candidates seeking Lecturer status
- Introductory knowledge of Biology, Genetics, Physiology, Evolution, and Ecology
- At least one year's experience teaching an undergraduate life science course (may include experience as a Teaching Assistant)
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience working with underrepresented groups
- Experience in developing lecture and/or lab courses (e.g. syllabi, lab experiments)
- Knowledge of curriculum development, management, and pedagogy
Salary and Appointment Information
This is a full-time, 12 month appointment, non-tenure track position, renewable yearly subject to enrollments, funding, and positive performance evaluations.
The expected start date is July 1, 2017 or negotiable after closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Procedures and Deadline Information
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload all application materials [application letter, CV, up to three syllabi (no more than four pages in length that stress assignments, texts, grading policies, and schedules) and contact information (including email addresses) for three professional references] by June 8, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information contact Marty Forrest at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: LAS
Category: Faculty and Other Academic
Title: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Instructor/Lecturer - School of Integrative Biology (F1700056)
Open Date: 05/25/2017
Organization Name: School of Integrative Biology