Senior Staff Accountant
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a Senior Staff Accountant.
This position will perform accounting work in connection with keeping and auditing financial or statistical records.
Duties will include:
• Participating in the accounting operations of the Business Office.
• Review quarterly investment reconciliations for the College and the College’s Foundation.
• Supervise all Business Office student workers including: training, preparation of performance reviews and scheduling.
• Oversee the accounts receivable area including:
– Oversee the cashier window and assist with the supervision of the Student Account Specialist
– Responsible for accounts receivable write offs
– Be the primary contact for the Touchnet billing and payment system
– Back up to the third party billing and student refund processes
– Assist with payment plan set up and responsible for payment plan monitoring
• Responsible for third party reporting (ACS, IPEDS, Occupational Expenditures, etc.).
• Assist with departmental report development.
• Assist in coverage of the Business Office Window and Box Office Support.
• Review monthly/quarterly account analysis and reconciliation including, but not limited to, Title IV programs, TRIO programs, Advancement, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
• Performing other duties at the direction of the Accounting Manager, Controller, Vice President and Chief Business Officer, or the College President.
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting from an accredited college or university preferred; or an Associate’s degree in accounting or related field with 3 – 5 years commensurate experience in an accounting position.
• Knowledge of dealing with financial and numeric data in compliance with state and federal laws
• Highly skilled in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel Spreadsheets and Crystal Reporting
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Organized with no tolerance for financial sloppiness
• Experience with Banner software preferred
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
• Available periodically outside of normal business hours for special events
Posting Number 20110567
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree or higher?
- * Do you have an earned associate degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents