Director of Prospect Research & Mgmt - University Advancement
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The Director of Prospect Research and Management reports to the Senior Director of Development and leads a comprehensive program of proactive and reactive prospect research and prospect management. This includes overseeing the identification and assessment of potential donors, and the optimization of prospect pools and development officer portfolios, in order to build a strong donor pipeline for the university. Working with the Senior Director and the Vice President for Advancement, this position is responsible for properly appropriating the prospect research and management resources of the department for maximum support.
- Baccalaureate or higher degree.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in managing a prospect research and management program, conducting prospect research, and managing development officer portfolios.
- Experience in higher education setting preferred.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Provide leadership to the university administration and development team in planning and executing a major gift prospect pipeline that supports current and future fundraising goals.
- Train and supervise prospect research and prospect management (PR/PM) team members, including annual evaluations and professional development opportunities for them.
- Oversee the system for identifying, researching, and assigning prospects and donors.
- Coordinate the ongoing wealth screening of constituencies in the database, oversee the timely validation of screening results, as well as the entry of results into the donor database.
- In collaboration with the vice president, senior directors, and development officers, lead meetings to review new prospects and determine assignments.
- Cultivate strong relationships with development officers to ensure the PR/PM team is meeting their needs. Meet with each one periodically to review their portfolio for balance and optimization.
- Along with the prospect management coordinator, craft and maintain the moves management and staging program to ensure that all prospects and donors are tracked through the identification, discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship cycle.
- Prepare event attendee bios/briefings as requested for the EVP, VP and Deans for Advancement events.
- Develop and manage reports in coordination with the Advancement Services team to provide metrics on pledges, proposals, affinity lists, development officer performance, etc…
- Facilitate training for new development officers, support staff, and other university personnel on Raiser's Edge prospect research and management areas. Assist in developing contact report and action protocols.
- Manage the PR/PM budget, overseeing purchases from external vendors for research tool subscriptions, wealth screening services, mapping software, statistical modeling, etc…
- Stay up to date on current issues in prospect research, management, and analytics through reading articles, subscribing to blogs and newsletters, attending webinars and conferences, etc...
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Proactively identify lists of new leads and prospects from internal and external sources and assign for research by the PR/PM team. Field requests for responsive research from development officers and administration, personally conducting research or creating profiles as needed.
- Review researched and validated prospects, using objective and subjective information to determine which prospects have the best combination of capacity, affinity, and mission alignment.
- Oversee the monitoring of news alerts, online publications, and obituaries for new information on key donors so that development officers are briefed on updates, and ensure database records are accurate and up to date with relevant findings.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.