Staff Assistant – Graphic Designer
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 46-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 20,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College is seeking a Graphic Designer (State title: Staff Assistant). The Graphic Designer will reside within the marketing team, reporting to the Senior Creative Manager. The marketing team supports the Office of Enrollment Management (OEM) as well as the SUNY Empire State College community.
The successful candidate will contribute to the creative process with strong written and verbal communication. This position must also show a passion for keeping up with current design trends and techniques.
The top priorities for the new candidate will be to update current OEM projects that already have a template (InDesign); Photoshop production (developing layouts, cropping/color-correcting/silhouetting/ad variations); make copy edits.
The graphic designer will be responsible for the following:
- Bring positivity, creativity and energy to the marketing team
- Help translate concepts and ideas into viable design concepts
- Design and layout printed college recruitment publications, including but not limited to magazine, brochures, posters, fund-raising publications, advertising projects, and signage
- Execute the production of a variety of marketing materials, including but not limited to direct mail, infographics, emails, posters, postcards, newsletters, banner and print ads and other print and digital collateral
- Assist in the development of compelling web graphics, and the design and layout of web pages
- Collaborate with the project manager to execute a workflow for assigned projects through the various phases of development to final production to ensure prioritization is assigned and deadlines are met
- Integrate new or adjusted branding standards into print and web
- Meet the expectations of internal clients while educating and maintaining brand standards
- Participate in and contribute to the work of Creative Services, especially by providing design opinion on projects handled within the department
- Use InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator; assist with making layout (graphic and text) revisions, and editing photos with an eye for detail and correctness
- Work closely with the in-house print shop to ensure quality production
- Create and edit PowerPoint presentations while maintaining visual brand
- Ensure production work is in ADA compliance
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design or a related field
- Minimum of 1-3 years' experience in a similar role within a marketing and/or creative services group
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, including but not limited to, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver
- Strong understanding of typography
- Excellent time and project management skills, with the ability to maintain workflow of, and meet deadlines for, multiple assignments through regular priority assessment
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS is preferred
- Basic knowledge of Content Management Systems is preferred
- Provide examples of work from portfolio
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security