CLINICAL NURSE EDUCATOR
CLINICAL NURSE EDUCATOR
SON-FACULTY AND STAFF
Duke University School of Nursing Job Description
HR Title: Clinical Nurse Educator
Working Title: Clinical Instructor
Job Code: 1212
Job Level: 13
With minimal supervision, latitude for discretion and independent judgment, plan, implement, and evaluate clinical learning experiences for students in the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program offered by the Duke University School of Nursing; and completes assigned projects within the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Participates in development of course materials and/or simulation as directed by faculty.
- Makes clinical assignments that are appropriate in relation to course/clinical objectives and student learning needs, in accordance with course requirements,expectations and course planning meetings.
- Creates and maintains a positive, mutually beneficial learning environment; appropriately supervises students in the clinical setting while simultaneously fostering independence; promotes critical thinking development among students and facilitates student application of nursing process, time management skills and prioritization of care
- Implements on-campus experiences (laboratory, simulation) preparing in advance to ensure experience is organized and engaging
- Maintains high standards of skills competency assessment in the on-campus laboratory and clinical environment; Conducts pre and post-conferences to facilitate application of knowledge; Contributes to performance improvement efforts in relevant areas
- Returns course/clinical paperwork to students and instructors in a timely manner with professional, constructive comments; Submits course grades,completed/signed clinical evaluation to course coordinator in a timely manner
- Evaluates student performance related to course/clinical objectives in a manner that accurately reflects students' abilities and knowledge without grade inflation; Conducts formal midterm and final clinical evaluations with students in a timely manner in accordance with program guidelines; Follows established procedures for implementing a clinical Learning Improvement Plan, as needed
- Serves as an ambassador for DUSON/Duke University and as a role model for professional nursing
- Maintains open communication with clinical site personnel and incorporates their feedback into clinical experiences; Maintains open and timely communication with Course Coordinators regarding student progress, concerns, absences, site issues, etc.
- Completes assigned projects within the Office of Academic Affairs to enhance quality of student experiences and other related activities.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
- Work requires graduation from an accredited Master of Science in Nursing program, Licensure as a registered nurse in North Carolina and BCLS certification are required.
- Work requires at least two years of full-time clinical experience as a registered nurse Candidate must meet the North Carolina Board of Nursing administrative requirement for faculty regarding preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation as cited in the Administrative Code of the Board Nursing within one year of hire.
- Cognitive, effective and psycho motor skills necessary to provide clinical instruction and supervision.
1212 CLINICAL NURSE EDUCATOR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, genderidentity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, orveteran status.*******************************************************Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires graduation from an accredited Master of Science in Nursingprogram.Licensure as a registered nurse in North Carolina and BCLS certificationare required.
Work requires at least two years of full-time clinical experience as aregistered nurse Candidate must meet the North Carolina Board of Nursing administrativerequirement for faculty regarding "preparation in teaching and learningprinciples for adult education, including curriculum development,implementation, and evaluation" as cited in the Administrative Code ofthe Board Nursing within one year of hire.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.