Adjunct Faculty, English
Campus or Location College-wide
Vacancy Number PT090-17
Reports To Associate Dean
Recruitment Type External/Internal
Job Category Part-Time Faculty
Position Type Part-Time
Union Position Non-Union
Number of Openings Multiple
Job Description Summary
Teaches a full range of courses including developmental, composition, and literature.
• Prepares and delivers lectures to students on various topics in relation to a specific discipline.
• Evaluates and grades students' class work, laboratory work, assignments and papers.
• Prepares course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments and handouts.
• Keeps abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, speaking with colleagues and participating in professional conferences.
• Maintains student attendance records, grades and other required records.
• Initiates, facilitates and moderates classroom discussions.
• As needed, advises students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues.
• Plans, evaluates and revises curricula, course content and course materials and methods of instruction.
• Compiles, administers and grades examinations.
• Collaborates with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
• Maintains regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
• Selects and obtains materials and supplies such as textbooks and laboratory equipment. Serves on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, department matters and academic issues.
• Participates in campus and community events.
• Master's Degree (or Ph.D.) in English or Composition - Rhetoric, or Masters of Fine Arts (or Ph.D.) in Creative Writing,
• Teaching experience
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Suite (or equivalent),
• Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for students,
• Advanced communication (verbal, written and interpersonal) and organizational skills,
• Logic and reasoning skills to identify solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems,
• Sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population
Willingness to learn and/or have experience in the use of instructional technologies to teach traditional, hybrid and/or distance learning classes, and /or as a supplement
Knowledge and skills in a variety of computer usage and software applications, including but not limited to Microsoft Office Applications (Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
• Experience teaching composition
• Experience teaching developmental English courses
• Experience teaching literature
• Experience teaching online or blended formats
• Experience teaching in a computerized writing classroom
• Community college teaching experience
• Knowledge of college-level English and /or Composition pedagogy
To be determined based on business unit need. Classes may be offered during the day, evening and/or weekend. Please indicate your availability when applying for this position.
This is a part-time (adjunct) faculty position.
Adjunct faculty positions are ongoing pooled positions. Therefore, your materials will remain on file and be reviewed on an as needed basis.
In the event you are called for an interview, please have copies/unofficial or official transcripts for the required degree and 2 professional letters of reference available to bring with you at the time of interview.
Posting Open Date 09/21/2016
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement
Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this position?
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer
- Tri-C web site
- Tri-C employee referral
- City News
- Search Firm/Agency: specify name below
- Other publication: specify name below
- Other web site: specify name below
- Career Fair: specify name below
- Conference: specify name below
- Other: specify below
- * Do you have a Master's Degree (or Ph.D.) in English or Composition – Rhetoric?
- * Do you have a Masters of Fine Arts (or Ph.D.) in Creative Writing?
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Transcript 1
- Transcript 2
- Transcript 3