Requisition # 2017-7560
Department Technology Licensing Office
Category Institutional Research and Planning
Date Posted 5/23/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Princeton University seeks a highly motivated, well-qualified individual to serve as a Licensing Associate in its Office of Technology Licensing & Intellectual Property (OTL).
OTL's primary focus is to provide the highest quality of service to its faculty and students in the patenting and commercialization of technology and science developed at Princeton. Princeton's research budget exceeds $280MM per year.
The OTL facilitates the transformation of scientific and technological discoveries into products and services for societal benefit in a manner consistent with Princeton University's emphasis on preeminent research, education and dedication to public service.
In pursuing this mission, we:
-Develop relationships with potential commercialization partners and participate in regional and national technology transfer forums to promote the goals and objectives of our faculty members, researchers, students and external community.
-Regularly interact with the University community, which includes school deans, department chairs, individual faculty as well as the Office of the Dean for Research, the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, the Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education, the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment, Mid-InfraRed Technologies for Health and the Environment (MIRTHE), and the Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials (PRISM) to support their goals in innovation and commercialization of technology.
Learn more about What we do
- The Licensing Associate will work closely with investigators to solicit invention disclosures.
- Evaluate technologies for patentability and commercialization potential.
- Market technologies to identify potential licensees.
- Work within the OTL to initiate negotiations for licensing/option agreements and other related contracts under the supervision of the OTL Director.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or the Physical Sciences. An MBA or law degree is desirable.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating various agreements involving intellectual property such as Confidentiality Agreements, Materials Transfer Agreements, Sponsored Research Agreements, Option and License agreements is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills needed as well as the ability to interact effectively in both the academic and corporate cultures.
- The ideal candidate must be comfortable with interactions with scientists, research sponsors, industry representatives and patent attorneys.
- The position requires the ability to work both independently and within a team environment as well as under pressure to meet deadlines.
- The ideal candidate must be a highly self-motivated professional with exceptional sales, marketing and negotiation skills and must be detail oriented and able to simultaneously manage numerous projects.
- Knowledge of intellectual property law and licensing practices desirable.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.